The Mechanics' Institute is hiring a Library Technical Assistant.
The Mechanics' Institute Library and Chess Room seeks a creative, energetic, team player who demonstrates a superior ability to multitask in both the technical and public services departments.
The Mechanics' Institute Library and Chess Room is a general interest membership library, cultural event center, and chess club located in our 9-story landmark building in the Financial District of San Francisco at 57 Post Street. Founded in 1854 to serve the educational and social needs of mechanics — artisans, craftsmen, and inventors — and their families, the Institute today is a favorite of avid readers, writers, downtown employees, students, film lovers, chess players, and the 21st century nomadic worker in search of a place for literary pursuits, thinking, research, and study.
- Copy catalogs library materials (print, digital, and multimedia) from OCLC to III’s Millennium using RDA and AACR2, MARC, Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), and Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC).
- Uses OCLC's Connexion Client for searching, holdings maintenance, exporting, and downloading bibliographic records.
- Under the direction of the Technical Services Librarian, performs various cataloging and acquisitions projects.
- Performs basic library circulation functions such as checking items in and out, shelving, collecting fines, collecting statistics, and processing library materials.
- Assists members in the use of public computers and in searching the Library's catalog.
- Opens and closes the Library; may include night and weekend shifts.
- Handles interlibrary loan requests, processing, and delivery.
- Performs other library duties as needed.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MARC, RDA, AACR2, DDC, and LCSH.
- Experience working with an ILS, preferably Millennium.
- Excellent customer service aptitude and the ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Library Technician Certificate or equivalent.