Closing Date: Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2016; position is open until filled.
Salary: Dependent upon qualifications and professional experience.
To view full posting and apply, visit http://www.csus.edu/about/employment/
Reporting to the Dean and Director of the University Library, the Head of Special Collections & University Archives and University Archivist provides leadership and vision for the department, expertise, and creativity in the development of excellent special collections and archives in a variety of formats. In collaboration with other Library units, participates in and oversees all activities including collecting, processing, organizing, preserving, and making accessible collections of rare books, manuscripts, archives, photographs, electronic records, digital collections, and other non-print, rare and special materials. Collaborates with academic department faculty, librarian liaisons, other special collections units, Library staff, and the general community. Develops, implements, and assesses new programs to further promote knowledge of and use of the collections. The Head is actively involved in donor cultivation and fundraising and works closely with the Dean and the Office of University Advancement. As University Archivist, leads the development of the Sacramento State archives and collection services, including selection and management of the historical records of the campus, in all formats, as well as promoting awareness and use of the collections. Develops strong relationships with administrative and academic units on campus and across the CSU system to assess and preserve historical records at risk. Has overall responsibility for personnel supervision, budgeting, and resources management within the department which currently consists of two librarians (1.5 FTE) and two staff positions, as well as a number of student assistants, interns, and volunteers.
- Graduate degree in library, information, or archival sciences from an ALA-accredited program or an equivalent combination of relevant advanced degree and library experience.
- Five years of successful and increasingly responsible professional experience in a special collections and/or archives setting.
- Demonstrated leadership and forward-thinking vision for special collections, archives, and digital scholarship.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively and to promote teamwork.
- Experience successfully supervising, mentoring, and training library personnel.
- Experience in developing and managing special collections and archival resources in print, digital, and other formats.
- Knowledge of current archival management practices, project planning methods, policies, procedures, and trends.
- Strong commitment to public services and user-centered reference and instructional services with an understanding of the scholarly use of library collections and services within a special collections setting.
- Record of professional achievements sufficient to merit appointment at the Associate Librarian or Librarian rank and ability to meet the California State University, Sacramento criteria for tenure and promotion
- Successful experience managing a budget.
- Record of implementing new technologies in a special collections environment
- Evidence of successful donor relations, fundraising, or grant-writing experience.
- Experience with digital repository software, descriptive and encoding standards, and archival management systems.
- Knowledge of library preservation and conservation issues and practices.
- Familiarity with intellectual property issues related to archives, libraries, and special collections and copyright issues associated with print and digital technologies.
- Advanced degree in a subject related to the collection areas of the department.
- Reading knowledge of at least one language other than English.