Closing Date: This recruitment will remain open on a continuous basis and may close at any time, after the two current vacancies are filled.
To apply, visit http://www.elsegundo.org/depts/human_resources/part_time_opportunities.asp
Only online applications will be accepted for this position.
This is a part-time, at-will position exempt from the classified service. The Library is currently recruiting to fill two vacancies. One vacancy is at the Main Library, and the other vacancy is in the school library branch. These positions are scheduled to work approximately 10 - 15 hours per week.
The vacancy at the Main Library will be assigned to the reference desk in Adult Services and Children's Services, and will be scheduled to work primarily Mondays and Fridays. Weekend and evening hours may be required.
The vacancy at the school library branch will be scheduled to work Monday thru Friday. Weekend and evening hours are not required.
This is an entry-level part-time library position that under limited supervision, performs a variety of library administrative support and designated technical-related library work.
Essential Job Functions
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of duties and responsibilities is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by position in this class.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Positions in this classification typically perform duties at a level of complexity represented by the following types of responsibilities:
- Coordinates selected activities within the library; develops and conducts library programs; maintains library records.
- Assists the public in the use of the library and library resources; provides information and/or orientation to library facilities, equipment and services; instructs patrons of all ages on the use of public Internet computers, on-line public access catalog, reference materials and equipment, and assists patrons in researching and locating reading materials.
- Assists in ordering, cataloging, classification and display of books and materials; assists in the maintenance and replacement of existing books, periodicals and materials.
- Develops selected documents, bibliographies, records and publicity materials for library program and/or department; maintains records and filing systems.
- Provides guidance and training to other staff.
Graduation from high school or GED and college coursework in library science of liberal arts, and two (2) years increasingly responsible library experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Characteristics:
- Knowledge of the practices of library operations.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of office administration.
- Knowledge of typical office equipment, including personal computer and standard office computer programs including word processing, database and spreadsheet applications.
- Knowledge of and skill using library software.
- Knowledge of cataloging rules, regulations and resources.
- Knowledge of the Dewey decimal system.
- Knowledge of book processing procedures.
- Knowledge of automated library systems.
- Skill in operating typical office equipment, including personal computer and standard office computer programs including word processing, database and spreadsheet applications.
- Skill in English composition, grammar and punctuation.
- Skill alphabetizing and numerically sorting materials.
- Skill composing letters and preparing a variety of reports, using appropriate format and computer software.
- Skill presenting ideas and concepts orally and in writing.
- Skill conducting research and preparing clear, concise and comprehensive reports.
- Skill following oral and written instructions and procedures.
- Skill utilizing public relation techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Skill establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, other City employees and the public.