View posting at http://gtu.edu/about/employment
To apply: Candidates should submit by email to email@example.com, a letter of application addressing qualifications, resume, and the names/contact information for three professional references. Please put “Apply-Systems Manager and Metadata Librarian” in the subject line of your email.
The Graduate Theological Union (GTU) seeks a talented Systems Manager and Metadata Librarian to provide support in the Flora Lamson Hewlett Library. This is a part-time (19 hour/week) position. Preferred workdays are weekdays.
PRIMARY POSITION PURPOSE
Reporting to the Head of Technical Services and Collection Development this position oversees the
administration of the GTU Integrated Library System (ILS); maintains access to digital resources; performs original cataloging of library materials, as needed, in all formats.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides technical management, maintenance, documentation, and support for the library's Integrated Library System (Millennium) and related services, including local support for associated hardware and desktop client software for library staff.
- Facilitates communications between vendors and local IT staff.
- Manages and negotiates contracts with Systems and other service vendors and facilitates payment of relevant invoices.
- Ensures seamless data loads from outsourced cataloging and authority control providers within the scope of local cataloging policies.
- Oversees the technical aspects of cataloging and authority-control outsourcing initiatives with YBP and Backstage.
- Manages residual cataloging functions: develop and manage cataloging projects by student copycatalogers; performs original cataloging as needed; coordinates all aspects of authority control; develop and document local cataloging policy and work flow procedures.
- Compiles data and maintains relevant statistics.
- Supervises physical processing of library materials.
- Hires, trains and supervises student copy-catalogers and processing assistants.
- Serves as a member of the Library Management Team.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements and physical demands listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or
ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential, principal duties.
- ALA-accredited M.L.S. degree preferred.
- 2-3 years of experience working with integrated library systems in a client/server environment (Millennium) from a user perspective and as an administrator.
- 2-3 years of experience in records management and in cataloging and classifying materials in OCLC and other bibliographic utilities.
- Demonstrated familiarity with metadata standards, communication standards, and classification systems (AACR2, RDA, LCSH, EAD, DC, MARC21, DDC, LC, etc.)
- Knowledge of serial publications in print and digital formats
- Knowledge of theological literature and references
- Broad knowledge of library tools, systems, and resources in academic libraries
- Solid technology background, including Microsoft Office Suite software, and familiarity with trends in delivery of electronic information
- Experience providing access to electronic resources (licensing, access, troubleshooting, etc.) and authentication methods (including proxy software)
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
- Positive customer service orientation
- Excellent communication skills: oral, written, listening and inter-personal
- Team player
Preferred Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Previous experience in an academic library is highly desired
- Knowledge of at least one foreign language
- Familiarity with acquisitions and ILL processes
- Strong attention to detail
- Project management experience