Salary: $29.77 - $39.82 Hourly
To apply, visit https://www.calopps.org/ViewAgencyJob.cfm?ID=23781
The City of Burlingame is seeking (2) highly energetic full time reference/adult services Librarians with a strong public service commitment. Incumbents will provide professional reference services, library service and programming to adults, as well as assist patrons in finding materials for recreation and information.
The Librarian I classification is an entry-level position; the Library II classification is the experienced, journey-level position requiring a higher level of experience and training. The Librarian I/II can be filled at either level depending upon qualifications and experience.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Serve at a reference desk; research and respond to reference questions by phone, in person, or electronically.
- Assist patrons in use of library collections through reference interviews, database, and web searches, reader’s advisory, and instruction in the use of the online catalog, computer software, and other technology that is used in the library.
- Maintain current knowledge of materials, resources at BPL and throughout PLS and refer patrons as required.
- Establish liaison with appropriate agencies and organizations within the community in order to promote library services and facilitate programming and service delivery.
- Plan, schedule, and arrange publicity and present a variety of programs for assigned area.
- Promote library services to generate increased usage.
- Maintain print and electronic collections as assigned including weeding, selection, replacements and ongoing maintenance.
- Respond to patron complaints and problems.
- Design and implement training to the public.
- Select and collaborate with the Collection Development team to provide relevant collections based on knowledge of community and/or target audience interests.
- Maintain awareness of emerging trends in technology, reference services, and librarianship.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position would have experience in the following areas:
- Promoting library services to a broader audience, including use of social media and non-traditional programming
- Managing grants and other projects
- Reader’s advisory
- Collection development (including selection and weeding)
- Identifying, planning, and booking adult programming, including set-up and technical support during presentations that involve the use of audio visual equipment including laptops and projectors.
- Adult instruction and learning using current technologies and software, and including the creation of hand-outs, instructional guides and pathfinders.
- Information desk duties that frequently involve troubleshooting issues such as ebook access, printer malfunctions, email access, password reset, account log-on/log-off, and error messages.
Ability to stoop, bend and crouch to retrieve materials and books; lift and/or move books or other materials weighing up to 50-pounds; push/pull carts up to 150 pounds; sit, stand and walk for long periods of time; talk and hear well enough to communicate with patrons; use hands to finger, handle, or fell objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands or arms.
Work indoors in a library setting, including extensive work at a PC monitor and extensive close work. Extended periods of standing are required in some instances.
Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
Education and Experience
Education: A Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program required.
Experience: At least one year professional experience working in a library setting is required. Knowledge of the Peninsula Library System and Sierra system is desirable. Successful public contact experience in a library setting; knowledge of automated systems; basic library reference materials including on-line databases and the Internet; reference interview and research methods; and knowledge of library systems.
Licenses: Possession of a Class C, California Driver’s License.
To learn more about the Burlingame Public Library and the City of Burlingame, click here: https://youtu.be/zh0UfMHfbrI