Monday, January 30, 2017
Pasadena – Community College – Technical Services & Systems and Assessment
CLOSING DATE: FEBRUARY 23, 2017 BY 4:00 PM
Pasadena City College is hiring two full-time, tenure-track librarians commencing with the 2017-2018 academic year. We are seeking public service-oriented librarians with expertise in either technical services and cataloging, or library systems and assessment.
We are looking for candidates who have the desire and ability to create a welcoming classroom culture that positively engages and impacts our diverse student population. The ethnic composition of our student population is 49% Hispanic/Latino, 23.9% Asian/Pacific Islander, 11% two or more races, 7% White, 3.8% African American, and .1% American Indian or Alaska Native. We are committed to achieving equally high outcomes for all students. We are looking for candidates who share our vision and are willing to work with us to help all students, regardless of background and level of preparation, achieve their educational goals.
We value working in an environment of collaboration, support, shared leadership among all groups: faculty, staff, administration, and students. Pasadena City College prides itself on faculty contributions through active participation in college-wide governance and the decision-making process.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE LIBRARIANS:
• Taking a leading role in a library service area, which may include operational oversight, training, scheduling, and mentoring
• Providing in-person and online reference and research assistance to students and faculty
• Designing and teaching subject-specific library information literacy sessions, workshops and classes as needed
• Collaborating with colleagues and faculty to develop student-centered information literacy programs, services and resources
• Engaging in outreach and liaison programs and services
• Participating in collection development activities through the assessment, selection and de-selection of materials
• Conducting analysis of current library programs and services, including the development/implementation of new library services, policies and procedures
• Collegially and actively participating in planning processes and contributing to all areas of the library operation
• Developing and assessing student learning and service outcomes, using the results to improve library instruction and services
• Undertake the divisional and professional responsibilities of a regular faculty member
• Participate in departmental and college governance activities through committee service and/or other appropriate activities
• Performing other duties as assigned
• Master’s degree in library science or library and information science, OR the equivalent, from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited institution
Degree must be shown as conferred on transcript. Some degrees may require equivalency. When equivalency is requested, the file will be reviewed by PCC’s Equivalency Committee. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide ample documentation to support equivalent qualifications.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
• High level of self-motivation, adaptability and flexibility
• Demonstrated collaboration, leadership and problem-solving skills
• Strong public service and outreach skills that reflect a commitment to customer relations and user-centered library services
• Awareness of trends, emerging technologies and standards in cataloging and metadata, with expertise in original cataloging, processing, and strategic collection maintenance. (Technical Services Librarian)
• Proficient in strategic planning and oversight of library technologies to enhance, integrate and automate library processes and activities. Demonstrated ability in assessment and evidence-based decision-making for library programs and services. (Systems & Assessment Librarian)
• Experience and proficiency in preparing, delivering and assessing effective information literacy instruction sessions using current best practices and technologies
• Ability to develop research guides (LibGuides) and online tutorials
• Proficiency in the use of standard personal computer software (such as Microsoft Office applications).
• Willingness to work with and support basic skills students
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and a desire and ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, students, and other members of the campus community
• Ability to work in a multiethnic environment with students of varying academic preparation and learning styles
• Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
REASONS WHY THIS POSITION IS ATTRACTIVE:
• The Shatford Library staff is committed to supporting student success at Pasadena City College.
• Dedicated professionals and paraprofessionals collaborate to provide high quality public services, resources and programs in a dynamic student-centered library.
• All library faculty and staff participate fully and collegially in the decision making of the Library, as well as actively participating in campus-wide committees and in the shared-governance process.
• Pasadena City College celebrates and embraces the diversity of our student body and workforce.
• Pasadena City College is respected and supported by its community.
• Pasadena City College is a world-class institution. We are Number 1 among all community colleges in California in the awarding of associate degrees and Number 1 in the awarding of associate degrees to minority students. Many of our faculty and staff are graduates of PCC.
• The Academic Senate, Classified Senate, and Management Association are active in the effective shared governance process of the college.
• Pasadena City College has been named one of ten finalists for the 2017 Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence, widely recognized as the nation’s premier honor for high achievement and performance in America’s community colleges.
Librarian Eleven Months, 100% - Tenure-track position beginning July 2017.
SYSTEMS & ASSESSMENT
Librarian Twelve Months, 100% - Tenure-track position beginning July 2017.