Interested candidates should apply online at www.CalOPPS.org.
Sacramento Public Library
Service Philosophy: Customers are the library’s first priority. Staff: understand service through the lens of the customer; deliver service with respect; make decisions that support successful customer interactions. Customers: enjoy a seamless and successful library experience as defined by their own expectations; choose their own method of interaction – staff assisted, self-directed or virtual.
Technology Assistant - $15.12 per hour
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Department: Central Library, Branches
Job Summary: Assists customers with the use of public computers, related technologies and computer-related questions; troubleshoots printers and software; administers internet access process for customers; assists in the general operation and maintenance of technology classrooms; and performs other related duties as assigned.
(Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
1. Assists customers with:
• the basic features of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other standard software on the library computers;
• the use of various library applications as well as PC and other equipment configurations;
• printers, VD- or DVD-burners, photocopiers, microform readers, MP-3 players, and other technologies available in the library;
• public internet access;
• computer searches and using electronic databases;
2. Contacts the Information Technology department or IT Help Desk for additional technology assistance for more complex issues;
3. Refers customers to other library staff, as appropriate, for assistance with non-technology related questions;
4. Assists in the general operation and maintenance of public computer areas or technology classrooms;
5. Cultivates and maintains positive relationships with other staff and members of the public;
6. Requires regular and punctual employee presence;
7. Acts as a representative of Sacramento Public Library to the public;
8. Creates documentation and guides to assist library customers and staff in using library technologies;
9. Keeps abreast of library programming interests and trends by attending workshops and educational programs and reading periodicals and specialized literature; and recommends more effective, innovative programming;
10. Attends meetings and events; participates in various teams when needed; and
SACRAMENTO PUBLIC LIBRARY Technology Assistant Approved by the Library Authority Board 11/29/07 Resolution # 07-45
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
1. Sacramento Public Library’s policies and procedures;
2. Thorough knowledge of personal computers, office software applications and multimedia equipment;
3. Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, the Internet, e-mailing systems, and other relevant software packages;
4. Capacity to work independently and see assigned tasks through to completion;
5. Possess a willingness to learn, ask questions, and follow instructions and library procedures;
1. Follow a sequential workflow and attention to accuracy, detail and neatness;
2. Quickly learn library specific applications;
3. Understand the customer’s needs and deliver services by focusing on the customer;
4. Take initiative to ensure a positive and successful customer experience by contributing to finding solutions, regardless of assigned responsibility;
5. Respond to customers and address customer complaints/problems in a timely, accurate, courteous, respectful and friendly manner;
6. Possess attention to detail and follow through on tasks effectively and efficiently;
7. Successfully communicate with members of the public and other staff;
8. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff and work as a team;
9. Establish priorities and organize workload effectively and efficiently while paying attention to detail and complete assignments under pressure; and
10. Maintain a pleasant and productive working atmosphere;
1. The use of personal computers, peripherals, software and other electronic devices;
2. Effectively troubleshooting technology problems.
Education and Experience:
1. High School diploma, G.E.D. or work permit.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work occurs in a normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature, and air conditions. Normally seated, standing or walking at will. Requires occasional stooping or bending and occasional light lifting of items or materials up to 20 pounds. Positions typically require frequent verbal communication, talking, hearing, sitting, reaching, keyboarding and repetitive motion of hands/wrists, and handling. Specific vision abilities for this job include close SACRAMENTO PUBLIC LIBRARY Technology Assistant Approved by the Library Authority Board 11/29/07 Resolution # 07-45
vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, libraries, meeting and training rooms, e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire and building safety regulations. Interaction with performers, library staff, library customers, and other libraries will be necessary to provide and receive information, or resolve situations or problems.
A valid Class C California Drivers License may be required for some positions at the time of appointment.