- Applying the correct labels to books using specific match criteria
- Tracking books that do not match certain criteria on our labels
- Flagging items that are not ready for labeling; separating these items into categories for which they cannot be labeled
- Shelving books in the correct order, according to their new Subject Labels
- Shifting books to correct sections of the library or collection
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
San Mateo County - San Mateo County Library - Reclassification Technician
Email your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
San Mateo County Public Libraries
Backstage Library Works will be working on site in San Mateo County to physically reclassify the county library’s collections from the Dewey classification system to a Bookstore-style Subject-based classification system. We are currently seeking technicians to complete the project.
During the past year, San Mateo County has reclassified their Dewey call numbers to Subject-based Classifications for each record in their library catalog. During the current phase of the project we will be applying labels generated from the records to the books they represent. As the project progresses the relabeled collections will be reorganized into their new orders across the various branches in the county. We anticipate that the project will begin Feb. 4 and last into May of this year.
Primary duties include the following:
At times this will be a physically demanding job involving lifting, pulling and pushing loads of books. At times it will also be a dusty, dirty job depending on which part of the library we are occupying – some sections of books in the library are older, dustier and dirtier than others. Willingness and ability to work in these conditions is essential.
· Strong organizational skills
· Strong attention to detail
· Basic computer skills/familiarity with database application
· Knowledge/familiarity of libraries and library classification schemes (or the ability to learn them)
· Able to perform repetitive tasks with accuracy/efficiency
· Ability to drive to any branch in the county system
Wages start at $11.50/hr. Toll charges will be reimbursed. Please send a copy of your resume and a cover letter to Thomas Forsythe - firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, February 3rd to apply. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
*All potential hires must pass a background check and drug test.
Posted by Stephen Passey at 11:47 AM