- A Masters Degree in Library Science (two years of professional librarian experience may be substituted for the Masters Degree).
- Eighteen (18) months of previous library experience
- any combination of education, training, and/or work experience to demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities to meet the above minimum requirements.
- Principles and practices of professional librarian work; principles and practices of effective supervision; familiarity with standard library resources, computer based library services and computer operations; and principles and practices of exemplary customer service.
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written form; exhibit public relations skills; effectively supervise subordinate staff; take a proactive approach to problem solving; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships; learn the organization, procedures, and operating details of the City department to which assigned; work at least one evening per week and one Saturday per month; attend work, as scheduled, on a regular basis, to effectively perform the position's required duties and responsibilities; collaborate with a variety of diverse interest groups in reaching a consensus for the betterment of the community; demonstrate an awareness and appreciation of the cultural diversity of the community; and practice and exemplify the City of Santa Maria's Mission Statement.
- Spanish-speaking ability highly desired.
- Possession of a valid and appropriate California Driver's License. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driving record and be insurable to operate City vehicles.
- Library computer system; microfilm machines; calculator; copy and fax machines; telephone, and automobile.