Thursday, May 4, 2017
Los Angeles – LA County Public Library – Librarian I
Salary: $55,875.36 - $73,286.16 Annually
Closing Date: Always Open
RESTRICTED TO PERMANENT PUBLIC LIBRARY EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THEIR INITIAL PROBATIONARY PERIOD.
Performs professional library work and provides information in general reference, audio-visual, children's, young adult services, or classifies, catalogs, reviews and evaluates books.
Essential Job Functions
· Interacts positively with a variety of people in different situations in person and by telephone. Gives book talks, conducts reading programs, answers a variety of questions and services on committees.
· Promotes customer satisfaction through friendly, efficient service, and resolves customer complaints.
· Communicates orally in a clear, friendly, and organized manner.
· Communicates in writing clearly and accurately. Prepares reports and bibliographies; develops programs and related announcements.
· Uses computer terminals and peripherals to serve customers and conduct research.
· Exerts physical ability to retrieve/replace library materials from shelves ranging from floor level to 90 inches above the floor.
· Operates a variety of office equipment.
· In charge of a small community library during the short-term absence of its manager, as needed.
· Travels throughout Los Angeles County for meetings and training.
OPTION I: A Master of Library Science degree from an accredited* college or university.
OPTION II: Current status as a Librarian I, Temporary** working full-time in the service of the County of Los Angeles Public Library.
**Temporary employees who have completed at least 120 working days of satisfactory service as a Librarian I, Temporary may compete in the departmental promotional examination.
PHYSICAL CLASS III-MODERATE:
Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.
A valid California Class "C" Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
In order to receive to receive credit for a Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Library Science (MLS), you must include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization at the time of filing.
PART I: An evaluation of experience and education based upon application information weighted 50%.
PART II: An Appraisal of Promotability (AP) to evaluate knowledge and skills, verbal and written communication, adaptability, work habits and attitude, problem solving, personal and public relations weighted 50%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on EACH weighted part of the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.