Job Purpose Statement/s: The job of "Library Assistant" is done for the purpose/s of maintaining library collection at school site; implementing age appropriate programs for students utilizing library resources; selecting appropriate items in support of classroom instruction and recreational reading, and educating students on the proper use of the library resources.
Essential Job Functions:
- Distributes various books and media for the purpose of providing requested classroom reference materials.
- Instructs students for the purpose of educating them on the proper use of the library resources (i.e. classification system, card catalog, care of materials, electronic reference materials, etc.).
- Inventories equipment and materials in library collection for the purpose of documenting losses and/or maintaining availability of materials.
- Issues and receives audio visual materials for the purpose of ensuring availability of items as may be required.
- Maintains the library in a neat and orderly condition for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive environment.
- Maintains order and discipline among students using the library for the purpose of providing a safe learning environment.
- Maintains circulation cards, bibliographies, cards and memos; types and duplicates a variety of documents and lists for the purpose of ensuring availability of items as may be required.
- Processes orders (e.g. books, periodicals, films, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining library collection controls.
- Repairs textbooks, library books and non-book materials for the purpose of ensuring availability of items as may be required.
- Researches availability of materials and media for the purpose of selecting appropriate items.
- Supervises student aides and trains in checking books in and out for the purpose of ensuring availability of items as may be required.
- Other Job Functions:
- Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
- Assists teachers, students, and other personnel for the purpose of identifying resource materials for use in classroom and/or class assignments.
Experience Required: One year of general clerical experience, preferably in a library setting.
Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities Required:
- Skills to operate standard office equipment including use of basic computer applications, use English in both written and verbal form, use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation, maintain detailed and accurate records.
- Knowledge of standard office equipment, library control systems.
- Abilities to sit for prolonged periods, understand and carry out oral and written instruction. Significant physical abilities include reaching/handling/fingering, talking/hearing conversations, near visual acuity/visual accommodation.
Licenses, Certifications, Bonding, and/or Testing Required: Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance.