The salary range for the Assistant Library Director is $101,712-$123,624 annually.
Applications must be received by February 4, 2016 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
Under general direction, assists the Library Director by assuming broad responsibility for the oversight of the Main and neighborhood libraries and departmental administrative functions; participates in the establishment and execution of long-term development plans, personnel plans, and marketing and community relations; coordinates operations and projects with Library divisions and other City departments, library and community organizations; acts on behalf of the Library Director as needed; and performs related duties as assigned. The Incumbent shall be appointed "at-will" and serve at the pleasure of the City Manager.
- Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities.
- Coordinates with departmental staff to translate the Library's strategic plan, goals, and objectives into viable programs and services.
- Oversees, manages, and coordinates City library programs, services, and activities.
- Supervises the day to day operations of the library system; initiates and assigns projects, duties and tasks to staff; monitors work flow.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and develops the performance of assigned personnel.
- Assists in developing and preparing the departmental budget; forecasts revenue, expenses, and funds required for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitors and approves expenditure.
- Prepares and/or directs the preparation of grant proposals and oversees the utilization of grant funding.
- Participates in the planning of facilities upgrades and the planning of new, remodeled and/or expanded library facilities.
- Coordinates collection development activities; oversees the development of comprehensive collection development plans.
- Coordinates the Library's participation in community outreach activities and city-wide events including those alongside community volunteers, and library support groups; promotes partnerships with other City departments, local businesses and educational institutions.
- Attends and participates in a variety of library related meetings; serves as a representative of the Library as required.
- Makes presentations to Boards, Commission, neighborhood and business groups, as directed.
- Prepares and supervises the preparation of a variety of records, reports, including departmental staff reports for the City Council, City Manager's Office and the Library Board of Trustees.
- Acts on behalf of the Library Director in the Library Director's absence.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Education: Possession of a Master of Library Science.
Experience: Five years of progressively responsible professional public library administration experience including employee supervision, budgeting, community relations, materials acquisition, and related work.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
1) Completed Employment Application
2) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire
3) Current Resume (must be scanned and attached to the online application).
PLEASE NOTE: THE RESUME REQUIRED MUST BE SCANNED AND ATTACHED TO THE ONLINE APPLICATION. THE SYSTEM WILL NOT ALLOW AN APPLICATION TO BE SUBMITTED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED ATTACHMENT.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, medical/physical examination, drug and alcohol test.
NOTE: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list.
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.