Monday, May 16, 2016
San Francisco East Bay – Contra Costa Community College District – Technical Services Librarian
Salary: $58,452 - $87,960 per year
Closing Date: 5/23/16
Description of Position:
Los Medanos College is seeking an enthusiastic, creative and service-oriented librarian for a full-time position beginning August 2016. The successful applicant will be a team-oriented person who is able to work both independently and collaboratively in an innovative environment. The person filling this position would provide leadership and coordination of the technical services of the Los Medanos College Library as their primary responsibility.
The person in this position will also be involved in reference, library instruction, collection management and outreach activities. The librarian will be required to discover, select, learn, and integrate new library related technologies as they become available. This position also supports the assessment of the instruction being done at the library reference desk and embedded in courses to identify and measure student learning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
In addition to contractual duties, all faculty are expected to participate actively in their disciplines, department activities, and the general intellectual life and governance of the college. Part of the assignment may be in the evening and/or online. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. overseeing the acquisition, cataloging, and processing of library materials including books, periodicals, and reserve textbooks;
2. working closely with library staff to coordinate the day-to-day operation of the circulation desk;
3. developing and maintaining policies and procedures for above mentioned technical service areas;
4. collaborating with college and district librarians to maintain district wide technical services policies and procedures;
5. participating in the collection, development and implementation of print and electronic information resources and services;
6. holding regularly scheduled reference desk hours;
7. participating in library instruction activities including the preparation and presentation of general and specific library workshops;
8. representing the Library by serving on department, college, and district-wide committees and task forces;
9. contributing to the development and maintenance of the Libraryâs web page;
10. maintaining current knowledge in the field of Library Science and Information Management;
11. participating in professional development activities;
12. maintaining of appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics;
13. performing other related duties as assigned.
Masters in library science, library and information science
Below is a provisional list of desirable qualifications we will be looking for in Library faculty applicants.
1. Ability to provide leadership, training, and direction to library technical services staff.
2. Advanced knowledge of academic library acquisitions, cataloging and circulation practices.
3. Knowledge and experience working with an integrated online library system, preferably Innovative Interfaces.
4. Experience in the development and assessment of learning outcomes for library service areas.
5. Demonstrated ability and willingness to work effectively with new and emerging technologies.
6. Evidence of strong interpersonal and communication skills and the proven ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty, staff and administration.
7. Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.