Tuesday, May 17, 2016
San Jose – City of San Jose Public Library – Business Librarian
· Librarian I Full time hourly salary range $29.96- $36.42
· Librarian II Full time hourly salary range $32.05 - $38.99
· A 3% increase will be effective 6/17/2016 for these salary ranges.
Closing Date: 5/31/16
About the Department
San José Public Library serves the tenth largest city in the country with timely, innovative and responsive service. A proud recipient of the IMLS National Medal for Museum and Library Service and the Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year Award, the library is an acknowledged leader in providing library services to meet the changing customer needs of an amazingly diverse community. The San José Public Library enriches lives by fostering lifelong learning and by ensuring that every member of the community has access to a vast array of ideas and information. With 23 branches plus the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, we offer tremendous opportunities for learning, discovery and pure enjoyment.
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we have increased the open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
Position and Duties
We are seeking two new Business Librarians to join our team and change the lives of those we serve. We are currently looking to fill two full-time openings for our new SJPL Works business and job seeker center at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Library. . SJPL Works aims to serve those in the job seeker and small business community by providing access to resources such as specialized collections & technology, research assistance, and business & career related programming utilizing community partners. The ideal candidate for these positions will understand, support, practice, and promote the San José Way of library services and the Mission, Vision, & Values statements of the City of San José and the San José Public Library; possess strong networking, outreach, and relationship building skills, demonstrated presentation and public speaking skills, ability to manage & lead projects, demonstrated program management skills, and possess strong time management and multi- tasking skills with attention to deadlines.
Our librarians are community leaders, using their professional skills to provide the information, lifelong learning, and recreational diversions people need to lead better lives. The job description lists the range of duties expected, but above all we are looking for flexible, service-oriented, friendly, and smart librarians, who take pride in their work and want to make a difference in their community.
Librarians are responsible for performing a variety of professional duties. This may include: serving as a resource for children, young adults, adults, and library staff; providing customers with direct assistance to locate information and library materials; assisting customers with library technology; conducting library tours, giving book talks, and planning, promoting, and presenting programs; working with community groups to promote understanding, use, and support of library services; analyzing, interpreting, and answering reference questions; providing reader's advisory information; supervising, leading, or training the work of clerical and technical staff as assigned; assuming responsibility for a facility or a section as assigned; managing collections; These positions will include evenings and weekend shifts.
We encourage Spring 2016 and Summer 2016 Master Degree in Library Science Candidates to apply.
1. Education: A Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university.
2. Experience: Librarian I - None; Librarian II - Minimum one year of full-time professional library experience.
3. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
· The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
· Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/ technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
· Customer Service - approaches problem-solving by focusing on customers first; advocates for customer results point of view; demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner.
· Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
· Computer Skills Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
· Initiative - exhibits self-directed, resourceful and creative behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility or workload and accept challenges; pursue continuing educational opportunities which promote enhanced job performance.
· Project Management - ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
· Flexibility- Makes effective decisions and achieves desired results in the midst of major changes in responsibilities, work processes, timeframes, performance expectations, organizational culture, or work environment
· Communication Skills - communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.