Monday, May 16, 2016
San Mateo - San Mateo County Community College District – Part-Time Librarian
Salary: Initial starting hourly rate is $40.30 to $50.83/hr.
Closing Date: Open until filled.
This position is a “pool” position meaning that openings may or may not be currently available. The District maintains a “pool” of applications for positions which are needed on an ongoing basis at Canada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College. The advantage of “pool” positions is when a position becomes available, the Dean may immediately begin screening applications from the available pool of applicants without having to post a position and wait while the position is being advertised. Your application for this position will be kept current for a period of three years.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Librarian hired in this position will provide reference service and instruction on the use of print and electronic information resources to students, faculty, staff, and the community. The Librarian may also be assigned to perform or participate in the following:
1. Collection development
2. Implementation of print and electronic information resources and services
3. Library research orientations
4. Development and instruction of credit classes in Library Studies and information competency
5. Activities designed to promote Library Services to students, faculty, and staff
6. Collaborate with other college faculty in developing information competency components within their disciplines
7. Participate in the development and maintenance of the Library Web page
8. Creation of instructional support materials in print and online formats
9. Catalog library materials, using OCLC
10. Train and supervise Library technicians in cataloging and technical processing
11. Computer programming to support library services
12. Perform other duties as required by contract and general institutional needs
13. Organizing and managing archives
14. Participate in the development and delivery of public program events
15. Participate in the design and delivery of library services to on campus and remote users and online students
1. Master’s degree in Library Science, Library and Information Science, or the Equivalent (see information that follows).
2. Ability to communicate effectively with persons of diverse cultures and language groups, and people who have disabilities.
3. Demonstrated sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with disabilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The screening committee will select interview candidates from among those applicants who, in addition to meeting the requirements, give evidence of any or all of the following:
1. Experience providing reference assistance to students, faculty, and staff in a technologically advanced library environment
2. Knowledge of print and electronic information resources and services
3. Experience in teaching in traditional and distance education environments
4. Demonstrated proficiency in the development of print and web-based instructional materials for credit and/or no-credit courses, orientation sessions, workshops, tutorials, and information pathfinders
5. Ability to work sensitively and effectively with students, faculty and staff in a team-based environment as well as independently
6. Demonstrated skill in effective oral and written communication
7. Knowledge and experience in collection development
8. Experience in cataloging using OCLC for original and copy cataloging
9. Experience facilitating participation of faculty in the development of library materials and services
10. Effectively communicate in written and oral forms in a language in addition to English
11. Experience in organizing and managing archival collections
12. Experience in providing effective and user friendly access services for on campus and online students