Thursday, April 6, 2017
Los Banos – Merced Community College District – Reference Librarian
Salary: $50,868 – 69,468
Closing Date: 5/8/17 12:00 pm
This is a full-time tenure track assignment at the Los Banos Campus under the general supervision of the Dean of the Los Banos Campus and in collaboration with the Dean of the Learning Resource Center. The Librarian will be responsible for a full range of professional duties including: providing reference services, collection development in collaboration with instructional departments, using and instructing in the use of information technologies, developing instructional materials, working collaboratively with diverse range of individuals, performing additional public services as assigned, including possible night and weekend service.
Los Banos Campus:
The Los Banos Campus of the Merced Community College District is a full service college center located approximately forty miles west of Merced. At least 140 classes are taught each semester in a wide variety of disciplines, with coursework ranging from developmental to transfer level. The campus enrolls about 2,200 students from the western side of Merced County. There are 20 full time faculty and approximately 50 adjunct faculty members.
Merced Learning Resources Center:
The Learning Resources Center (LRC) is the home of the Merced College Library and the Audio Visual center. The LRC provides research and instructional resources and support for all Merced College students, faculty, and staff. The Library is one of the most dynamic and inviting areas on campus. In addition to several study areas, the library also provides access to research computers, online catalogs, professional research staff, study rooms, and a library orientation classroom. The LRC is proud of its reputation of providing outstanding services to students, this is reflected in its motto of, “All Students, All the Time.”
· Master’s degree in Library Science, Library and Information Science OR the equivalent.
· Knowledge of community college library standards and procedures including planning and implementing library instruction sessions.
· Working knowledge of standard types of electronic subscription databases.
· Technology and/or reference experience relevant to academic libraries.
· Candidate must have sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
· Ability to work constructively both independently and in cooperation with colleagues and users in a service-oriented environment.
· Organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills.
· Ability to use available technologies as a teaching and/or student service tool.
· Ability to use electronic resources and/or emerging library technologies including library uses for social networking applications.
· Current technology skills related to teaching in the discipline and a willingness to pursue future technological developments.
· Willingness to travel between campuses.
· Provide reference service at Library Reference Desk
· Work with the library and college community to implement and promote use of library services
· Provide library orientations, tours, and other library instruction sessions
· Work collaboratively with library faculty to develop, measure, assess, and revise reference and library instruction student learning outcomes
· Assist in developing and maintaining a reference and information services web page
· Assist in developing and maintaining information and reference resources including electronic resources such as digital videos, webcasts, and podcasts
· Work with the library and college community to implement and promote use of library resources, including electronic resources, and to solicit input from instructional faculty on issues regarding electronic resources and collection development
· Coordinate with the LRC Dean and other faculty librarians in planning and implementing and revising library services district-wide
· Evaluate and assess use of resources working with library
· Participate in off-campus conferences and professional activities related to the responsibilities of the position
· Participate in library and college activities, including serving on library and college committees and attending Los Banos Campus area meetings
· Participate in continuing education, professional associations, and/or research
· Perform other duties as assigned
· Work nights and weekends as needed