Monday, December 15, 2014
Contra Costa County - Community Library Manager
Salary: $31.05 - $39.65 Hourly
Final Filing Date: 01/02/15
The Contra Costa County Library is seeking qualified individuals to fill the position of Community Library Manager. Presently, there are two (2) vacancies that include one full-time (40/40) vacancy in Moraga, California that will oversee the Moraga Community Library and one part-time (32/40) vacancy in Oakley, California that will oversee the Oakley Community Library.
Community Library Managers are responsible for day-to-day administration and operation of a full service community library. Responsibilities include applying individual judgment and influence to manage human, financial and physical resources in a community library and supervise the activities of professional, technical and/or clerical level positions involved in library support and service activities; plan, develop and implement community library goals, objectives, policies and procedures; collaborate with City staff in the planning and development of library programs and services; assess community library needs and formulate proposals and policies and other duties as assigned.
The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six (6) months and may be used to fill future part-time and full-time vacancies.
Plan, organize and manage the activities of a community library ; ensure the efficient and effective delivery of high quality library services to the general public
Plan, develop and implement community library goals, objectives, policies and procedures that reflect the County Library's mission and services
Act autonomously to develop and maintain relationships with City leaders, community organizations, local businesses, schools, service clubs and "Friends of the Library" organizations, and make presentations to these organizations.
Collaborate with City staff in the planning and development of library programs and services
Plan and prepare the community library's budgetary needs; develop budget justification for staffing, service and materials; monitor and reconcile financial resources for county and city, grants, and donations from community organizations, businesses and library friends/foundation organizations
Manage professional level librarians, technical and/or clerical staff; exercise independent judgment in the selection, training and evaluation of staff; make assignments and counsel employees on work-related issues and take disciplinary action as necessary in accordance with County and department guidelines and direction, regulations or applicable MOU
Manage task forces in the development of County Library policies and procedures, committee projects or special assignments and make recommendations; interpret library policies and procedures to staff and the public
Assess community library needs and formulate proposals and policies to support such needs within the County Library and the community
Manage building security and maintenance issues which may include surrounding grounds; evaluate architectural drawings to assess new library interior designs, layouts, and circulation needs, and make recommendations
Anticipate and recommend computer technology needs and planning, including internet access and software, and web based research services
Manage acquisition and collection development, including any specialized collections; participate in centralized collection development to ensure collection materials meet the community's needs
Education: Possession of a Master of Library Science degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association, or equivalent curriculum.
Experience: Two (2) years of full-time equivalent professional/supervisory library experience.
Three (3) years full-time equivalent experience working in a library, which may include two (2) years as support staff, technician or paraprofessional, and at least one (1) year at a professional/supervisory level.
1. Application Filing: All applicants, including County employees must apply on-line at Contra Costa County Department of Human Resources, and submit the required information as indicated on the job announcement by the closing date/time listed above. All applicants must clearly demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications provided on the job announcement. Paper, faxed, or late applications WILL NOT be accepted. Resumes may not be substituted for the official County application. To view the typical tasks, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position, please visit our website to see the detailed job description.
2. Application Evaluation: Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.
3. Oral Interview: An oral interview will be conducted by a Qualifications Appraisal Board in Martinez, Ca. The Board will evaluate candidates in job-related areas. Candidates must receive a rating of at least 70 from a majority of the Board members to be ranked on the employment list. (Weighted 100%)
As part of the application process, an applicant may be required to fill out a Conviction History form. Please note that the Conviction History Form should only be submitted when requested.
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.
Community Library Manager Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. Community Library Manager (3AGG - 2014) Supplemental Questionnaire The supplemental questionnaire is part of the application process for the Community Library Manager. The purpose of the questionnaire is to provide applicants the opportunity to elaborate on their qualifications. Your responses to the questionnaire will be used to evaluate your relevant experience to determine which applicant's will be invited to participate in a competitive oral examination. Please answer the questions below and submit your responses with your on-line application. Do not leave any answer space blank; if a question does not apply, write "N/A". Although you may submit a resume to further describe your qualifications or additional information, such items may not be substituted in lieu of the supplemental questionnaire. An incomplete supplemental questionnaire may result in disqualification. Do not answer any question by indicating "see attached resume" in your work history or responses to the supplemental questions. An application submitted without the supplemental questionnaire is considered incomplete and will therefore be disqualified. Please read the Job Announcement carefully for specific filing instructions, supplemental questions, and final filing dates. I have read and understand the above information:
* 2. EXPERIENCE: Please Use The Below Instructions To Answer Questions 3 and 4. Describe your professional experience in one or more of the following areas. If your experience does not apply to any given question, please indicate "N/A". For each area, in addition to providing a full description of the work experience, please also identify:
Employer's name and official job title
Years and months of required experience
Percentage (%) of time spent supporting the functions I understand that the above instructions apply to questions 3 and 4, and I will provide the above information in response to these questions.
* 3. Please describe your experience performing professional and/or supervisory duties in a library.
* 4. Please describe your experience performing support staff, technician and/or paraprofessional duties in a library.
* Required Question