- This is an excellent part-time job opportunity for an
individual to provide staff support and customer service to patrons of the City
of Huntington Beach libraries within the Library Services Department. The
Library Services Department includes Administration, Public Services, Community
Outreach, Technical Services, Literacy and Children's. The current vacancy is
in Public & Information Services and will primarily coordinate the Computer
Coach program. (Working Title is
Department Services Aide III).
- The ideal candidate must possess effective and cooperative
communication and interpersonal skills and have the ability to relate to a
diverse group of people with different cultures and education levels.
- This is a Non-Perm, Part-Time position.
- Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 – June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS Retired Annuitants.
- Coordinate the volunteer Computer Coach program at Central Library.
- Staff the computer coach's office at peak hours (generally afternoons and Saturdays) to work directly with patrons on computer needs
- Assist patrons with eBooks and other digital library services
- Work with library administration to recruit and train computer coach volunteers
- Effectively communicate with the computer coach volunteers and update the coach schedule
- Use Library resources to facilitate computer classes for the public
- Note: The preceding functions have been provided as examples of the types of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. The City at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
- The equivalent of a high school diploma is required.
- Education, training, or experience equivalent to three years related experience with demonstrated technical skills.
- By time of appointment, must have a valid California motor vehicle operator's license. Employees regularly assigned/required to drive a city or personal vehicle in the course and scope of work shall be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull Notice program due to the performance of field duties that may require operation of a City vehicle.
- An official City of Huntington Beach on-line job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to a department interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a pre-placement drug screen (select positions), TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
- Please Note: Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions:
- In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.