- The San José Public Library is seeking a Senior Librarian to manage the Collections and Technical Services Unit for the library system. This position oversees a unit with 18.8 FTE. Activities of the unit include the collection development, receiving, cataloging, processing and maintenance of system-wide collections, both print and non-print. Collections reflect the diverse needs of the community and are in multiple languages. The manager oversees a budget of approximately $5 million. SJPL uses Innovative Interfaces Sierra ILS, including the cataloging, acquisitions, and Electronic Resource Management (ERM) modules but also provides original cataloguing of local, unique and foreign language materials. The manager oversees the planning, allocation, control and evaluation of programs and budget of the unit. The oversight includes the evaluations, selection and management of appropriate vendors for library materials in multiple formats. The manager also works with the Library's contract analyst to monitor Open Purchase Orders and managing the funds for the unit.
- The manager is part of the SJPL management team and
represents the library in regional, state and national forums appropriate to
the responsibilities of the role. Senior
Librarians manage a branch library or a major unit of the Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr. main library are responsible for ensuring that system policies,
programs and service initiatives are implemented and guide the operations of
the branch or unit. This includes
planning, implementing, and evaluating branch/unit operations; preparing and implementing
work plans; monitoring branch/unit budgets; planning and implementing programs
and outreach to the community; planning and implementing branch/unit goals,
objectives and guidelines; ensuring efficient and appropriate delivery of
service and programs; and providing guidance and leadership to a professional,
paraprofessional and clerical staff. In addition, there are system support
duties that enhance the development and improvement of library services to the
community which involve participation on or facilitation of teams and task
forces. The ideal candidate for this
position will be a strong and innovative leader and be aware of and support,
practice and promote the San José Way of library innovation and the Mission,
Vision, and Values statements of the City of San José and the San José Public
Library; have knowledge of current library cataloging, automation technology
and trends; have experience working with a diverse community and a diverse
staff; and enjoy working in a fast-paced, innovative team environment.
- This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university.
- Three (3) years of increasingly responsible professional library experience, including supervision or lead responsibility for professional and technical staff.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and direction.
- Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
- Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan; complies with administrative controls over funds, contracts, and procurements.
- Demonstrates support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization's effectiveness; facilitates the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace
- Sets effective long and short-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources; provides motivational support; empowers others; assigns decision-making and work functions to others in an appropriate manner to maximize organizational and individual effectiveness.
- Uses efficient and cost-effective approaches to integrate technology into the workplace and improve program effectiveness.
- Communicates and listens effectively and responds in an timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form; responds to statements and comments of others in a way that reflects understanding of the content and the accompanying emotion; asks clarifying questions to assure understanding of what the speaker intended, ensures consistent communication takes place within area of responsibility.
- - Please describe your experience working in a library
technical services unit. Include in your
response, the length of time, number of Full Time Equivalent (FTE) employees
supervised, and general responsibilities.
- - Please describe your specific experience in budget
management, including dollar amount, bid processes, and vendor
- - Please describe your experience in effective change
management, preferably in a library technical services environment. Include in your response, how you supported
agency goals and strategic objectives.
- - Please describe your experience developing or implementing
current technologies in a technical services environment and describe how you
evaluated its success.
- You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
- The application deadline is 11:59 PM on the final filing date. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.