- Under limited supervision, plans, organizes and administers services for a Youth Services Division of the Library, which includes the Bookmobile mobile library, performs professional Library work related to collection development, reference services, and special programs; and performs related duties as required.
- The Senior Librarian – Youth Services reports to the Library Services Manager. It is a professional classification, distinguished from the Librarian classification by its responsibility for supervision of Library staff and for program responsibility for a major citywide Library program area. This class differs from the Library Services Manager classification by the latter's primary responsibility to assist the Library Director in planning, organizing, directing, and supervising overall Library activities, services, and operations.
- These functions may not be present in all positions in this class. When a position is to be filled, the essential functions will be noted in the announcement of position availability.
- Supervises, plans and administers divisional programs and services related to youth services
- Keeps abreast of new trends in public libraries
- Provides responsible staff assistance to the Library Services Manager
- May also supervise and coordinate a variety of operational activities for the Library including relations with patrons and outside organizations
- Selection and purchase of Library equipment
- Evaluates and selects materials including books, magazines, audio, video, CD-ROM products and electronic resources
- May develop, implement and evaluate new and ongoing Library programs
- Manages and participates in the development and administration of the assigned division annual budget
- Coordinates staff training
- Uses excellent customer service skills
- Assists patrons in locating appropriate information sources
- Coordinates collection development
- Makes public presentations
- Maintains a variety of records and statistics
- Participates on a variety of committees, boards and task forces
- Prepares a variety of reports
- Coordinates selection and acquisition of juvenile and young adult Library materials
- Directs and coordinates children's services
- Responds to and resolves inquiries and complaints
- Responsible for developing Library programs that will effectively meet the needs of the community
- Assigns, organizes, trains and supervises the work of volunteers and Library staff
- Sets goals and objectives for the division
- Develops effective methods of communication with staff
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Possess a Masters Degree of Library Science from an accredited college or university
- Desirable experience includes three years professional experience as a Librarian including one year in a supervisory capacity
- Has a thorough knowledge of the
principles and practices of professional Library work; demonstrates an ability
to make use of various Library tools and applications; has knowledge of
practices involved in the cataloging, classifying and processing of Library
- Follow verbal and written directions; understands automation and
computers relevant to the operation of a public Library, and principles of
- Has ability to: communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; select, train, supervise and evaluate employee performance; train personnel on division activities, procedures and regulations; analyze data and information and draw logical conclusions; implement Library programs; respond to emergency and problem situations in an effective manner; operate programs within allocated amounts; communicate effectively with a variety of personnel and establish/maintain effective working relationships; explain and apply policies and procedures; interpret and apply rules, regulations, procedures and policies; and promote community interest in Library services.
- Position requires prolonged sitting and regular standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard.
- Additionally, the position requires near and far vision in reading written reports and work related documents. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service.
- Additionally, the need to lift, drag and push files, paper and documents weighing up to 20 pounds is required.
- Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
- Possession of a current and valid California Class C Driver's License and satisfactory safe driving record
- Availability to work nights and weekends