Salary: $30.48 - $37.42 Hourly; $5,283.20 - $6,486.13 Monthly; $63,398.40 - $77,833.60
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Location: Mitchell Park Community Center and Library, 3700 Middlefield Rd, Palo Alto, California
Reports To: Various Library Managers or Supervisors
Supervises: Non-supervisory; may mentor, coordinate and assign work to professional, paraprofessional, clerical, temporary and/or volunteer staff
Palo Alto City Library is looking for an experienced and energetic librarian to fill a Senior level position, chiefly working with the Library's eBranch team. The successful candidate is expected to have strong web management skills and in-depth knowledge of using electronic resources to provide customer service. Good communication skills, willingness to think creatively, and high work ethics assure success in this position.
Purpose of Classification
- Independently performs specialized and professional library activities of advanced difficulty in a library.
- The Senior Librarian is the advanced professional classification within the Library Division. Incumbents have professional experience to perform high level public library responsibilities. It is a broad classification which covers a variety of work situations including advanced knowledge of reference services, facility operation, collection management, library policies and computerized information systems. Significant portion of the day may include direct public contact.
Essential duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Be a key member of Library eBranch team with a focus on web services
- Assists the Library Services Manager of Digital Initiatives in developing innovative programs with available library technology
- Uses web technology to do outreach and deliver virtual and technology programs that support the strategic goals of the Library
- Plays a key role in promoting new digital services to staff and the public
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills and abilities, which would typically be acquired through:
- Master's Degree in Library and Information Science
- Three years professional experience as a librarian. Master's degree in Library or Information Science may be substituted for one year of professional experience.
- Has strong experience in web development, content management systems, web design and writing for the web
- Has experience in testing and troubleshooting issues across multiple browsers and a variety of devices
- Is attentive to details and has experience in using analytical tools to generate statistical reports
- Has experience helping the public with typical library eResources such as eBooks and databases
- Has experience engaging the public with the library via social media
- Is a team player and passionate about building solutions and solving problems
- Has good analytical, oral, and written communication skills, especially the ability to explain to non-technical audiences technology programs and tools the Library introduces