Monday, April 25, 2016
Inglewood – City of Inglewood – Librarian (part-time)
SALARY: up to $30.04 per hour
THE POSITION: Under general supervision, provides materials, assistance and service to the general public seeking information and participates in or conducts special programs in the Library.
• Provides materials, assistance and service to the general public seeking information in the Library;
• Assists patrons/public in selection and location of books and materials;
• Researches, reviews, recommends and interprets Library resources;
• Instructs the use of the Library and enforces Library policies and procedures to the public;
• Assists in planning, implements and participates in service programs or projects;
• Provides reference service to assist public with questions, advise readers, provide instruction and monitor the use of the catalog system, on-line service, and public access of computers.
• Prepares Division publicity in the form of bibliographies, press releases, flyers, brochures and calendars;
• Recommends, withdraws, discards, repairs or replaces materials or resources no longer suitable;
• Calculates and compiles Library usage statistics; attends and participates in meetings, workshops, conferences and programs;
• Conducts reference searches, analyzes patron information requests and refers to other resources.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS
• Knowledgeable of Public Library operations practices and procedures, Library and related information retrieval and delivery systems, emerging technologies related to media, Library collections and services, collections, resources and automated systems and of quality customer service techniques and concepts;
• Skilled in utilizing computer databases to research, maintain, and update records and files, instructing the general public in the use of computers and other technical equipment, and in establishing and maintaining productive working relationships ;
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, lift up to 50 pounds; and able to perform essential duties with minimum supervision.
Masters degree in Library & Information Sciences or closely related field, AND one (1) year experience in a library environment.
Applications will be accepted by the Human Resources Department until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. This recruitment may close with or without further notice. Interested parties must complete an official City application; resumes are accepted but not in lieu of the official City application.