- The California Judicial Center Library in San Francisco has
an opening for a Senior Law Library Technician in the library’s Collection
Management Services unit. The position is responsible for acquisition and
delivery of print legal information resources to Justices and staff of the
California Court of Appeal, First Appellate District and for related serials
management and accounts payable tasks and functions. The position offers all major benefits
including health, dental, vision, vacation, sick leave, retirement and transit
subsidies. The position may be filled as
a full-time or a part-time (30-32 hours/week) position.
- Under the general supervision of the Judicial Center Law Librarian, Senior Law Library Technicians assigned to the Collection Management Services unit receive work direction from the coordinator of the unit. The position performs collection management duties including but not limited to: checking in and claiming serial publications using the library’s integrated online system (Innovative Interfaces, Inc.’s Sierra); delivering publications to court users in their chambers or offices and updating the publications as needed; ordering requested publications; updating subscription lists; reviewing and verifying invoices for payment; and related duties as assigned. The position may also develop purchase orders, compile databases of invoices for approval and payment and maintain related files as needed; contact vendors regarding returned, cancelled or replacement items; and develop collection-related expenditure data upon request.
- Checks in and processes library materials as they are received, using the serials management module of the integrated library system (Innovative Interfaces’ Sierra). Claims materials as needed.
- Distributes received materials to chambers and offices of the Justices and staff of the California court of Appeal, First Appellate District.
- Performs library acquisitions routines including but not limited to vendor selection, order preparation and claims; and maintains related files and records.
- Verifies and process invoices for payment approval.
- Responds to vendor inquiries regarding receipt of and payment for ordered materials.
- Participates in the Collection Management Services team in meetings and other discussions concerning workflow, methodology, timing and other work-related issues.
- Equivalent to an associate degree, preferably with emphasis in Library Science and four years of increasingly responsible paraprofessional or technical law library experience.
- Additional directly related college-level education may be substituted for the experience on a year-for-year basis. Additional directly related experience may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis.
- Law library practices and operations, including knowledge of fundamental administrative functions such as file management, general correspondence and scheduling.
- The use and applications of law library integrated online library systems, in particular serials control subsystems.
- Basic principles of law library classification and cataloging.
- Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Record keeping principles and practices.
- Perform the full range of law library paraprofessional duties, as needed.
- Transport books and boxes of books weighing up to approximately 40 pounds.
- Reach, lift and relocate books in the library stacks.
- Organize work, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Understand and follow spoken and written work directions.
- Familiarity with fundamental published legal information resources, e.g., California Official Reports, California codes and statutes, and major legal treatises.
- Effective organizational and interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate courteously and concisely in written and spoken interactions.
- Proven ability to take and follow work direction, to understand workflow requirements, and to work successfully as a team member.
- Experience in the use of budgeting or other accounting systems.
- Monthly Salary Range: $3,889 - $4,727 per month
- Some highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health/Dental/Vision benefits program
- 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Choice of Annual Leave or Sick/Vacation Leave
- 1 personal holiday per year
- $130 transit pass subsidy per month
- Pre-Tax Parking Savings Program
- CalPERS Retirement Plan
- 401 (k) and 457 deferred compensation plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
- FlexElect Program
- Long Term Care Disability (employee paid/optional)
- Group Legal Plan (employee paid/optional)