Monday, April 18, 2016
Torrance – Torrance Public Library – Senior Library Technician in Youth Services
Duration: Temporary Appointment (maximum 6 months) – estimated start date 5/2/2016
The Torrance Public Library has a temporary employment opportunity for the position of Senior Library Technician in Youth Services. This is a paid position that can last for up to 6 months.
The Senior Library Technician is a full-time position, working out of the Katy Geissert Civic Center Library. This position reports to the Youth Services Supervisor. This position staffs the Youth Services Desk, typically 2-4 hours each day (including two nights per week, and alternate Saturdays working with the Youth Services Librarian). The current major duties are recruiting, scheduling and supervising volunteers; tracking mends and mending of Youth Services collection; preparation of youth services’ bulletin boards and displays; and final check and preparation for circulation of youth services new materials. The Senior Library Technician may be required to facilitate storytime or a Youth Services program during absences of the Youth Services Librarian or Senior Librarian We are currently recruiting for one full-time temporary position:
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
· Strong interpersonal and customer service skills to interact with peers, the public, and subordinates
· The ability to adapt to changes
· Knowledge of library ILS systems
· Interest in or desire to acquire knowledge and experience in services for Youth
· Genuine interest and desire provide positive interactions with children, young adults and caregivers
· Intermediate to advanced knowledge of the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Publisher) and Google Docs
· The ability to work day or evening shifts and Saturdays
Week 1: Monday/Thursday 12 p.m. -9 p.m., Tuesday/ Wednesday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Week 2: Monday/Thursday 12 p.m. -9 p.m., Tuesday/Wednesday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
If you are interested in either of the temporary appointment opportunities in Youth Services please send a resume and cover letter to Heather Firchow, Senior Librarian, Youth Services, by Friday, April 22, 2016 at 12:00 p.m. with Senior Library Technician in your Subject Line (HFirchow@TorranceCA.gov).
I am looking to fill this position quickly and am planning to schedule interviews for the week of April 25 – 29, 2016.