Saturday, February 18, 2017
Truckee – Truckee Library – Librarian I (part time)
Salary: $22.90 – $27.95/ hr
Closing Date: 2/24/17
Definition and Class Characteristics:
The current position is a 50%, part-time position, located at the Truckee Library. The resulting list will be used for all part-time Librarian I positions that come open within the Library. For consideration for the current and future openings over the next one-year period, you will need to meet our Minimum Qualifications which are found in the "Education and Experience Required" section below.
There is an additional 10% added to the salary of this position because it is located in Truckee. The figures above do not reflect this additional 10%. In addition, the above figures are shown as full-time.
This current Librarian I position will involve: planning and implementing innovative programs for children and teenagers; providing information and assistance to the public in the children's area; selecting books and other materials to effectively meet the needs of the Library's patrons; maintaining the children's and teen's collections, including evaluation and weeding; planning a Summer Reading Program and Winter Reading Program; developing policies and procedures for youth services; conducting regular needs assessments and outreach to the local community; learning new technologies and incorporating them into programs; publicizing and marketing youth services through social and traditional media.
Under general supervision, performs professional library work in the Nevada County Library System; manages, directs and implements a major service area and/or a branch library; performs a variety of administrative and operational functions in support of the Library Department; and performs related work as required.
This is the entry level classification in the professional librarian series. Incumbents are responsible for a major countywide library program under the direction of the County Librarian or designee, and may supervise subordinate staff in a designated program area.
Examples of Essential Duties:
· Plans, coordinates, and directs assigned program services to effectively meet the needs of the library system
· Supervises, trains, and evaluates the work of assigned staff
· Selects books and other materials to effectively meet the needs of the Library's patrons consistent with the County Library's goals and objectives
· Reviews book collection to determine the need for additions, deletions, and repairs
· Provides information as requested by patrons including reference material, referrals to other sources of information, providing assistance to school children and suggesting titles of interest upon request
· Consults with teachers, parents, children and the general public on choice of books within a designated program area
· Plans special programs and displays
· Works with and maintains effective rapport with community organizations and special groups of patrons
· Assists in formulating library policies, procedures and operational systems
· Prepares data and information for budgeting and monitoring progress as requested
· Consults with other libraries regarding book/materials selection, loans and related communications
· Represents the county library on various committees, community organizations, at workshops, and outreach activities
Knowledge and Skills Required:
· Professional library principles, practices, methods and materials
· Library reference materials and procedures, and cataloging and classification techniques
· Community patron and reader interest levels and corresponding books and authors available
· Basic reference methods, and techniques used in library work
· Library organization, services and equipment
· Principles and practices of library automation systems
· Learning the county library systems, book selection, operations and organization
· Understanding and following a variety of complex directions in both verbal and written forms
· Communicating clearly, concisely, and effectively in both verbal and written forms and preparing related reports
· Planning, coordinating, supervising, and evaluating the work of assigned staff
· Establishing and maintaining priorities and objectives for self and others
· Developing and implementing library services consistent with county library's goals and objectives as well as patron's needs
· Selecting appropriate books and materials to meet patrons' needs
· Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Education and Experience Required:
Possession of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Library Science, Information Science, Liberal Arts, Humanities, English, Communication or related field plus two years' experience equivalent to County of Nevada's Library Technician; OR, active enrollment in an accredited MLS or MLIS program with satisfactory completion of a majority of coursework, with diploma received within two years of date of hire, plus either two years' experience equivalent to County of Nevada's Library Technician or five years as Library Assistant I/II/III; OR, Master's Degree in Library Science or Library Information Science from an accredited college or university, preferred.