Thursday, February 16, 2017
Visalia - College of the Sequoias - Library Specialist
Salary is at Range 26 ($16.71 hourly / $2,896 monthly).
Description of Position
Under the direction of the Director, Learning Resources, the Library Specialist will perform specialized duties involving processing of the general, reference, oversize, continuation and series collections and input information into the data base; maintain faculty reserve material; interview, select and provide work direction to student employees.
Any combination equivalent to:
• Two years of college level course work with major emphasis in library science and two years experience in a library.
• Sensitivity to and ability to work with people of diverse racial, ethnic, gender, disabled and cultural backgrounds.
• Provide high quality service and assistance to students, staff and general public in the use of library systems and resources.
• Oversee and participate in processing of library books; process new books received by assigning accession numbers, input information into database and maintain related information.
• Interview, select, train, provide work direction to and monitor the performance of student employees; adjust work schedules and assign student employees to provide appropriate patron service; assist in training temporary and subordinate staff.
• Process book acquisitions; prepare and maintain shelf lists from computer; prepare books for placement on shelf; discard or store obsolete or out of data materials; remove related information from database.
• Maintain materials for faculty and notify faculty when books have been placed in the collection.
• Place books on reserve and return to library collection as appropriate; prepare monthly book lists.
• Provide information and assistance to students, staff and the general public in use of library processes, indexes and other bibliographical materials in the library.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Ability to carry and lift moderately heavy books and objects.
• Ability to hear and speak to communicate with students/employees/public.
• Ability to see to read documents.
• Ability to sit and stand for extended period of time.
• Ability to reach in all directions.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer and office equipment
Conditions of Employment
• Salary is at Range 26 ($16.71 hourly / $2,896 monthly).
Initial placement on step AA.
• Salary increase after 6 months of satisfactory service; increases annually thereafter.
• Minimum 5% increase if promoted.
• 10–working month probationary period.
• Union membership upon employment.
• PERS Retirement.
• Medical/dental/vision insurance program for employee and dependents.
• Employee life insurance ($100,000) is provided.
Only complete application packages will be evaluated by a qualified screening committee as soon as possible after the closing date. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not assure the candidate an interview. Application materials will be screened to determine the extent to which they meet the Representative Duties. A selected group of candidates will be invited for oral interviews. After initial interviews, finalists may be asked to return for a second interview. All costs incurred as a result of the application/selection process shall be borne by the candidate.
Applicants must submit the following materials which must be received by Human Resource Services on or before the application deadline,
February 28, 2017 / 4:30 p.m.
• Completed COS classified application form
• Cover letter which discusses your interest in this position and addresses your competence in the areas of responsibility listed under the Representative Duties.
• Unofficial copies of transcripts of college/university work. Official transcripts are required for employment
Human Resource Services
College of the Sequoias CCD
915 S. Mooney Blvd.
Sequoia Building, Room 5
Visalia, CA 93277–2234