Location Long Beach, CA Long Beach, CA
Job Type Full-Time/Part-Time Department Library Services
Job Number E37NN-16
Closing 10/5/2016 4:30 PM Pacific
The current vacancies are located at the Main Library within areas of Youth Services and Community Services. However, other vacancies may arise in other areas within the library system.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Under direction, performs professional library work, including reference and readers advisory service; assists in the use of collections, equipment, and electronic resources, including social networking tools, downloadable media and supporting devices; evaluates and selects materials; provides reference assistance in person, by telephone, online and by email; prepares and provides presentations, exhibits, displays, reviews, reading lists, bibliographies, special indexes, statistics and reports; plans and conducts ongoing special programs and projects; develops strategies to encourage use of library resources; monitors budgets; participates in professional meetings and community outreach, including school visits and community meetings; may supervise non-professional staff and act as lead; performs other duties as required.
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
- A Master's Degree in Library Science, Information Science, or a related degree accredited by the American Library Association (proof required).*
- Enrollment in a Master's Degree in Library Science, Information Science, or a related degree program from an accredited American Library Association (proof required)* and completion of the program prior to passing probation;
- Ability to use a personal computer, utilize Windows,MS Office, and library software; effectively relate to a multicultural , multi-ethnic population;
- Willingness to work at the Main Library or any of the neighborhood libraries on either a full-time or part-time basis; to work weekends and evenings.
- Positions assigned to Youth, Adult and/or Technical Services may require candidates to have training and/or experience, and to demonstrate enthusiasm and interest in working in these areas.
- A valid driver's license may be required by the hiring department.
- Specialized experience in Youth, Adult and /or Technical Services; Bilingual (ability to speak) in Spanish, Khmer, or Tagalog is required for some positions.
*Required documents must be uploaded to the online application at time of filing.