Tuesday, February 23, 2016
Atherton – Sacred Heart Schools - Prep Instructional Librarian
Position Purpose: The Instructional Librarian works closely with the Library Director to foster a vibrant learning space conducive to independent and group inquiry. The Instructional Librarian supports the Library Director, students, faculty, and staff through instructional, supervisory, and clerical duties. This position shares responsibility for all other library duties with the Lucas Family Library staff.
● Assist students and teachers with research needs and with the use of library equipment and materials.
● Teach students the skills necessary to access and use information ethically, providing instruction in the use of online resources, and compliance with bibliographic rules and styles through the use of formal and informal instructional methods.
● Schedule class visits to the library and maintain calendar.
● Collaborate with Library Director and classroom teachers regarding library program.
● Balance the need for a quiet space for students with the well-supervised space needed for small group collaboration and active learning.
● Supervise students in the library and uphold school rules and policies, including after school hours. Perform closing tasks at end of day at 5:00 pm.
● Curate a current and diverse Young Adult Fiction collection through acquisitions and weeding.
● Using review sources, faculty recommendations, and professional judgment, select and order library materials that support the curriculum of the school.
● Create displays to promote new arrivals, school programs, and special events.
● Maintain high level of professionalism and professional development through membership in the appropriate professional associations and networks, and attend professional meetings as time allows.
● Promote love of reading by reading and recommending fiction and nonfiction books.
● Work with the Library Director on special projects, including processing new materials, weeding, and re-imagining the library space.
Skills and Abilities:
● Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited college or university.
● Three years of library experience at the high school level, preferably in an independent school environment.
● A clear commitment to the educational philosophy of the school as articulated in the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools.
● Ability to work well with students and colleagues; willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the Sacred Heart community.
● Demonstrated ability to actively engage students in the learning process.
● Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
● Ability to produce professional and grammatically correct correspondence.
● Affinity for working with high school students.
● Demonstrate competency with the online library catalogs (OPACs), databases, and internet searches.
● Excellent technology skills and experience with emerging technologies. Experience with Windows, Microsoft Office applications, and Google Docs.
● Comfortable using the Dewey Decimal System.
● Progressive outlook and interest in the future of libraries.
● Ability to communicate and maintain library rules and regulations within the Preparatory community.
● Strong attention to detail.
● Willingness to accept new tasks and projects with a positive attitude.
● Interest in reading and discussing books that are of interest to teens.
● Demonstrated excellent attendance and punctuality.
● Ability to multi-task, demonstrate a calm and friendly disposition and independent initiative.
*As a faith-based institution, we reserve the right to use religion as a criterion in hiring decisions, as permitted by law, as it relates to performing essential job duties.