Tuesday, February 9, 2016
City of Alameda - Public Library - Librarian
Close Date: Feb 29, 2016
Salary: $23.45 - $32.99 Hourly
1. Apply ONLINE at http://alamedaca.gov/human-resources/job-opportunities
2. Apply IN-PERSON at the City of Alameda Human Resources Department (Monday-Thursday, 8am-6pm) at 2263 Santa Clara Avenue, Room 290, Alameda, CA 94501
Applications and completed Supplemental Questionnaires must be filed no later than 5 p.m. on the last date to apply. No photocopies or facsimiles are accepted. It is the applicant's responsibility to allow adequate delivery time. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City Application.
Under direction, performs professional library work involved in modern public library operations including reference, branch, children or adult services; performs other related work as required. This is the entry level class in the professional librarian series. The current vacancy exists in Teen Services; however, the list that is established may be used to fill position throughout the Library.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
1. Provides reference and readers' guidance; assists and advises readers in making effective use of library facilities; maintains order and discipline in the observance of Library rules and regulations.
2. Promotes reader interest and full use of library resources.
3. Administers library services including access of information via electronic information retrieval systems and online catalogs, such as Internet.
4. Assists in the development, implementation and evaluation of library programs and services.
5. Selects, orders, classifies and catalogs books, pamphlets and other materials.
6. Organizes, maintains and indexes a variety of reference materials; makes bibliographic searches; maintains and updates catalog files.
7. Prepares and maintains statistical records; prepares various reports.
8. Reads and writes book reviews.
9. May supervise, train and evaluate or provide lead direction and training to technical and clerical personnel and volunteers.
Education/Experience & Other Requirements
1. Graduation from an American Library Association accredited college or university with a Master of Library Science or Master of Library and Information Services Degree.
2. No experience required, however, one year of professional library experience is desirable.
3. Selected positions require possession of a valid California Driver's License and satisfactory driving record as a condition of initial and continued employment.
4. Willingness and/or ability to work rotating and/or irregular shifts, including nights, weekends and to adjust work schedules as needed.
KNOWLEDGE OF modern public library organization, objectives, services and their application; principles, laws, policies, methods, and practices of public library administration; modern library equipment operation, including electronic information retrieval systems and online catalogs; library classification, circulation, and cataloging; reference techniques and practices; collection development; and library materials.
ABILITY TO effectively perform professional library work; promote interest in library services; assist in developing and implementing library programs and services which meet community needs; perform technical library tasks and operate computerized and other library equipment with speed and accuracy; interpret, apply and explain established policies and procedures; establish and maintain accurate records; plan, administer and evaluate work programs and schedules; interpret and analyze information; clearly define problems and develop solutions; prepare reports; set priorities, meet deadlines and make sound decisions; maintain level of knowledge required for satisfactory job performance; communicate effectively; establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public and supervise, train and evaluate assigned clerical staff.
Supplemental Questionnaire required