Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Bakersfield – Bakersfield College – Library Assistant I
Salary: $13/hr (19 hrs/week)
First Screening Date (open until filled): 3/30/17
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform general clerical work in support of the various sections of the library; check materials in and out of the library; provide general and technical assistance to library patrons.
The Library Assistant I classification performs a wide variety of routine clerical assignments and provide general assistance to library patrons. The Library Assistant II typically performs a wide variety of moderately difficult to complex clerical duties in an assigned library function and train and
provide work direction to staff during an assigned shift.
· Perform general clerical work such as typing, duplicating, entering information into computer, processing incoming mail and maintaining various files and records; answer telephones and direct callers to appropriate personnel; take and relay messages as appropriate; record and maintain various statistics on library usage.
· Check out books and other library materials; receive and process returned materials; inspect condition of materials returned; sort incoming books and prepare book carts; renew materials by phone.
· Assist in the processing of library materials; evaluate and maintain orderliness of shelved materials; pull and route materials in need of mending, binding, repairing or discarding; clean and repair materials as directed; glue, re-label or tape books as needed.
· Issue library use cards; explain the policy for the library card; contact patrons with overdue library materials; receive and receipt overdue fines; count and record cash received.
· Provide general and technical assistance to library patrons; instruct and aid patrons in the use of various library equipment; assist patrons in the use of computer indexes; answer reference and directional questions.
· Maintain records of periodical subscriptions; check in new periodicals and prepare for display or introduction to the library collection; route specific periodicals to designated personnel and departments.
· Operate a variety of equipment including a copier, microfilm reader, intercom system, television and library security system.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and one year of general clerical experience.
Knowledge and Abilities:
· Telephone techniques and etiquette.
· Operation of standard office equipment including a computer and data entry techniques.
· Basic record-keeping techniques.
· Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
· Oral and written communication skills.
· Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
· Basic math.
· Perform a variety of routine clerical duties.
· Answer phones and greet the public courteously.
· Make routine math calculations.
· Operate a computer terminal and enter data.
· Maintain routine records.
· Complete work with many interruptions.
· Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
· Learn basic library methods, procedures and terminology.
· Learn to operate a variety of equipment including a intercom system, library security system and a microfilm reader.
· Learn library classification system.
· Learn the location of materials in the library.
· Work cooperatively with others.
· Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.