Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Sacramento – Alliant International University – Librarian
Posted on: 3/16/17
About Alliant International University:
Alliant International University's mission is to provide students with the highest quality of education through innovation in scholarship, applied training and research, and community service, particularly to underserved populations. The University's goal is to equip students with the competencies they need to improve the quality of human life by addressing major contemporary social issues. Core competencies of the University's training programs include cultural diversity, which is infused in courses and field placements and is manifest in the diversity of its students and faculty.
The Librarian, under the general direction of the University Librarian, works as a reference librarian assisting students, faculty and staff with finding information they need through basic and specific reference sources in all subject areas, and also assists at the circulation desk.
The successful candidate will be dedicated to providing high quality service to all constituencies of Alliant University. S/he will exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical principles and will be committed to the tenets of Alliant University's Mission and Vision.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Reference services
Assist with reference and informational questions, in person, by email and over the telephone.
Demonstrate, instruct and promote information literacy via the use of Library Catalog, research databases and Internet, through group presentations and one-on-one interactions.
Assist users with printer server and E-mail.
Assist students in locating materials in other libraries through searches on LINK+, and other libraries.
Keep up-to-date on new or revised research databases.
2. Circulation services
Check in/out books, dissertations, theses, psychological tests, etc.
Enter and update patron files in Millennium Circulation.
Assist with Paging/Link+ shipments.
Assist faculty members and students with assessment materials and protocols.
Assist library users with reserve materials.
Design and update procedure manual.
Education: Master's of Library Science or Master's of Library and Information Science from an American Library Association accredited institution.
· 1-2 years reference experience with online and print resources.
· Familiarity with current trends and emerging issues regarding copyright, open access and scholarly communication as they relate to institutional repositories.
· Minimum one year of experience working in a professional capacity with emerging digital repository or digital library technologies (bepress, Fedora, dspace, etc.), emerging scholarly communication tools and trends, including open education resources, and relevant industry standards.
· Knowledge of metadata standards (i.e. Dublin Core) and metadata structures (i.e. XML/XSLT, MARC).
· Strong communication, analytical and organizational skills.
· Ability to make sound decisions with minimal supervision.
· Capacity to thrive in an exciting, ambiguous, future-oriented environment, and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
· Build and maintain quality relationships with students, faculty and staff.
· Ability to be creative about finding resources or answers to students' questions and research needs.
Supervises: Supervises student employees during the evenings and weekends
Technology Skills: Advanced information technology skills including experience using Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc) and HTML
Other Requirements: Sensitivity to cultural diversity and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people of all ages and diverse background; Proven ability to work effectively as a team player; highly motivated, focused and results oriented. Ability to exercise discretion and tact in all interpersonal contacts, and to maintain confidentiality at all times. Ability to manage multiple tasks according to required deadlines, and maintain composure under high stress conditions. Ability to be optimistic, positive and supportive in all interactions with others. High level of accuracy and attention to detail.