Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Oroville – Butte County Library – Librarian
Salary: $39,998.40 - $53,601.60 Annually
Closing Date: 4/6/17
Under close supervision and direction, performs routine professional library functions and activities in the Butte County Library system; assists public with availability of resources and services; provides instruction on the use of equipment and materials; promotes services to community; develops, coordinates, and implements a service area (such as youth services), may provide direction and training for other library staff; and do related work as required.
Essential Job Functions:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
· Performs professional library services, to include assisting patrons with selection and use of library materials, assistance with research techniques, and providing reference and reader's advisory services.
· Instructs patrons on the use of catalog system, databases, and e-media, and demonstrates procedures to identify and locate print, audio, visual, and e-resources.
· Develops, coordinates and implements a unit providing professional library services to a particular branch or a system-wide library service, such as outreach, adult, or youth services.
· May provide direction to staff and volunteers working in the area of program responsibility; may train staff in work procedures. In the absence of a branch librarian may oversee branch operations.
· Mediates complex customer service concerns and resolves difficult patron problems referred by paraprofessional staff.
· Develops and presents programs for various age groups; such as story hours and class visits on or off site.
· Participates in collection development activities; reviews, evaluates, and selects materials for addition or deletion form the library collection, which may include selection and maintenance of electronic resources on the library web site.
· Conducts public relations functions; represents the Library in a variety of community outreach activities and public awareness programs; speaks to groups and individuals regarding departmental activities and services. Prepares press releases, book reviews, and web based communications. Attends community events.
· Participates in professional development activities including attending workshops, continuing education programs and regional or state library association activities.
· Participates in implementing library goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for assigned area of responsibility, function or branch; may suggest changes to County Library policies.
· Assists with grant opportunities and prepares grant applications for submittal; assists in implementing grants and special programs.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· A Master's degree from an ALA accredited graduate school or program in Library Science
· A State of California driver's license may be required.
· Upcoming graduates may supply a letter from their attending university stating impending graduation date of their degree program and verification of credits needed for graduation, which would allow placement on the list of eligible candidates. Actual hiring of the position will not occur until after the graduation date.