- Directs and coordinates the development of goals, objectives and work plans
- Works with public service staff to develop and implement cost-effective policies and procedures for the efficient operation of technical services
- Confers with vendors and develops and re-commends contracts for the purchase of materials and equipment
- Investigates, evaluates and re-commends new methods and technological developments and new automated systems
- Maintains catalog access to all library materials
- Plans and develops the technical aspects of extending automated services
- Plans, designs and supervises the introduction of additional uses of electronic information
- Recommends annual budget requirements, reviews expenditures and implements methods for more efficient operations
- Provides bids, proposals and contracts
- Provides leadership for the development of a comprehensive collection management program and annual goals for collection development
- Makes presentations to staff, the public, organizations, agencies and governmental entities
- Interviews, recommends, hires, trains and evaluates staff
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Contra Costa - Deputy County Librarian, Support Services
SALARY: $7,701.30 - $9,360.98 Monthly
ISSUE DATE: 04/20/15
FINAL FILING DATE: 05/01/15
The Contra Costa County Library is recruiting for a creative, enthusiastic, and innovative leader for an exciting and challenging opportunity as Deputy County Librarian-Support Services. This is one of three (3) Deputy County Librarians and will report directly to the County Librarian. The Deputy County Librarian-Support Services serves as a member of the Library's Executive Management Team. The Deputy County Librarian-Support Services plans and manages all operations and activities of the Support Services Division of the County Library Department including materials acquisition, cataloging and processing, automation services, collections development, and interlibrary loans. Incumbents provide direct supervision to Library Managers, subordinate professional, technical, and clerical personnel and do related work as required.
License Required: Possession of a Valid California Motor Vehicle Operator's License. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator's license will be accepted during the application process.
Education: Possession of a Master of Library Science degree from a school of Librarianship accredited by the American Library Association, or a master's degree in a related field.
Experience: Five (5) years of full-time or its equivalent professional experience in a public, major business or large academic library, at least three (3) years of which must have been as manager of a major library program or division and included the supervision of professional librarians.
Substitution: Two (2) additional years of full time or its equivalent management experience in a public, major business or large academic library and a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university may be substituted for the master's degree requirement.
1. Application Filing: Applicants, including County Employees, are to apply on-line at Contra Costa County Department of Human Resources and submit the required information by the final filing date. All applicants must clearly demonstrate that they meet the minimum requirements provided on the job announcement. Resumes may not be substituted for the official County application. Paper, faxed or late applications WILL NOT be accepted. To view the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position, please visit www.cccounty.us/hr to see the detailed job description.
2. Application Evaluation: Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.
3. Oral Interview: An oral interview will be conducted by a Qualifications Appraisal Board in Martinez, CA. The Board will evaluate candidates in job-related areas. Candidates must receive a rating of at least 70 from a majority of the Board members to be ranked on the employment list. (Weighted 100%)
As part of the application process, an applicant may be required to fill out a Conviction History form. Please note that the Conviction History Form should only be submitted when requested.