Job Type: Full-time
Note: There are two (2) Senior Library Technician positions. One is in Technical Services division, the other is in Public Services division.
Closing Date: Applications received on or before Friday, October 23 will be the first group of applications to be reviewed.
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/beverlyhills/jobs/1220352/senior-library-technician
The Senior Library Technician performs a wide variety of complex and difficult paraprofessional library work; recruits, develops and trains subordinate staff and volunteers; works actively in the community to develop support for library programs and services; responsible for a unit of library services.
- Supervises a unit of library services which can include: literacy services, copy cataloging, database maintenance, acquisitions or other unit of library service.
- Schedules and monitors unit personnel and work flow for daily operations; assesses deadlines; makes and monitors the work assignments of others accordingly.
- Recruits, hires, trains, coordinates, assists, instructs, and evaluates subordinate staff and volunteers.
- Prepares original training materials for subordinate staff and volunteers.
- Monitors budgets and expenditures for the unit's program budget, for grants, and for donations from the Friends of the Library and other community organizations.
- Prepares grant applications and proposals as necessary.
- Maintains payroll records to include assuring number of hours worked are documented correctly, calculating totals, and making adjustments.
- Makes public presentations regarding library programs and services.
- Represents the Library at public, professional and community meetings.
- Monitors and evaluates library programs and services for efficiency and customer satisfaction.
- Monitors contracts with vendors to ensure quality control of product supplied.
- Monitors the Innovative database for accuracy; proofreads online input done by subordinate staff; conducts quality control evaluations of data base; performs final quality control check before new materials are released to the public.
- Performs duties of Librarian III when assigned.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Arts degree including or supplemented by courses in library sciences or a related field and;
- Three (3) years of experience performing paraprofessional library work in a public library, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of standard library procedures of complex nature including circulation, cataloging, literacy training materials and software, bibliographic search procedures, and the use of a variety of reference sources.
- Knowledge of City organization, regulations and procedures.
- Knowledge of types and uses of materials in the library collections.
- Knowledge of library terminology and record-keeping methods.
- Knowledge of standard accounting principles.
- Knowledge of municipal purchasing policies and practices.
- Knowledge of the publishing industry, including the publishing of serials.
- Skill in understanding, interpreting, and applying a body of technical information beyond normal department policies and procedures.
- Skill in locating books and materials.
- Skill in public presentation and public speaking.
- Skill in understanding facilities maintenance.