Deadline: October 26, 2015
Type: Tenured, Tenure Track
Appointment Date: December 1, 2015
Salary: Commensurate with experience (see below for more information)
Employment Type: Full-time
Questions? Please call (657) 278-8254 or email email@example.com
You can find this job listing at http://hr.fullerton.edu/diversity/job-openings/ft/8298BR_cataloging_metadata_librarian.asp
California State University, Fullertons (CSUF) Pollak Library is seeking an energetic, collaborative, and service-centered cataloging and metadata librarian who is innovative, technologically adept and has experience working with cataloging and metadata standards and tools.
The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian works in close collaboration with Collection and Processing Services (CPS) Unit personnel to coordinate cataloging and metadata work for library materials in all formats. To ensure that materials are cataloged in an efficient and accurate manner, the successful candidate will be responsible for evaluating current procedures, developing policies, and assessing emerging standards and best practices in light of the evolving needs of the campus community. The position provides strategic leadership and coordinates the day-to-day cataloging activities of library staff.
This position steers decision-making within the library about general cataloging and classification practices, as well as standards, fields, and codes related to the Integrated Library System (ILS). As the California State University system prepares for a system-wide migration to Alma, the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian will provide expertise and leadership in catalog migration preparation from the current ILS (Millennium).
Positive tenure and promotion decisions require taking part in scholarly and professional activities and serving on department, library, and University committees.
- Serve as Coordinator of the Cataloging Section and the campus expert on cataloging and metadata issues.
- Create and maintain original cataloging records.
- Resolve complex copy cataloging and post-cataloging problems, including upgrading existing data in compliance with current national standards.
- Coordinate current cataloging policies in accordance with developing national standards and shifting local needs, including writing Cataloging Policy Documents for the section.
- Create and advise on the maintenance of authority records.
- Coordinate with vendors to acquire catalog records meeting appropriate standards.
- Participate in CPS Unit leadership team, setting goals and defining strategies for making resources discoverable by the California State University, Fullerton community.
- Masters degree in library and/or information science from an ALA- accredited institution or equivalent institution by the time of appointment.
- Two or more years of experience performing original and copy cataloging of library materials in variety of formats.
- Experience with a variety of national standards, such as RDA, AACR2, MARC21, LCSH, LCC, and CONSER.
- Ability to coordinate with vendors to acquire cataloging records meeting appropriate standards.
- Experience with authority work.
- Evidence of interest in professional and scholarly activities.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work both independently and collegially in a rapidly changing environment.
- Well-developed analytical, organizational and communications skills (oral, written, and interpersonal).
- Aptitude for complex, analytical work with attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively and collegially with a wide and culturally diverse range of students, staff, faculty, and community.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactory complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- Current awareness of and experience with emerging metadata standards and trends (e.g. BIBFRAME, linked data principles, etc.)
- Experience working with providers of outsourced cataloging and processing.
- Experience training and developing staff in a production-oriented environment.
- Familiarity with shared catalogs and library consortiums.
- Experience managing metadata in a digital or institutional repository.
Rank & Salary
This is a tenure track position and will be at the rank of either Senior Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent comprehensive benefits are available and include health/vision/dental plans, defined benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities; spouse/domestic partner/dependent fee-waiver as well as access to campus child-care and an affordable housing program. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.asp
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 8298BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letters of interest (relating your experience to the required qualifications)
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of reference (see instruction below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.