Closing date: October 31st, 2015
To view position, visit http://www.library.sfsu.edu/about/jobs/faculty.html
Application directions are in the posting (below).
The J. Paul Leonard Library at San Francisco State University invites applicants for a tenure track Senior Assistant or Associate Librarian position to fulfill a combination of responsibilities, primarily in technical services, with an emphasis on coordinating access to and control of electronic collections and the management of metadata beginning January 2016.
The J. Paul Leonard Library is a busy teaching-oriented institution that collaborates actively with the other CSU campus libraries on consortial purchasing of electronic and other resources and services. All of the CSU libraries will be migrating from individual campus integrated library systems to a CSU system-wide unified library management system (Ex Libris Alma and Primo) resulting in significant new opportunities and challenges for collaboration and integration of policies, procedures and practices. The Library’s collections include more than 4 million items in all formats including an extensive collection of online databases and full-text resources. Librarians have full faculty status and are expected to meet faculty requirements for tenure and promotion. The library faculty is committed to providing mentoring and support to tenure track colleagues. The successful candidate will play a key role in helping to shape the future of the Library. Information about the J. Paul Leonard Library is available at: http://www.library.sfsu.edu
- ALA-accredited Masters in Library and Information Science or equivalent.
- At least three years of professional post-MLIS academic library experience and two years of library technical services experience.
- Experience in using integrated library systems, link resolver software, discovery tools, proxy servers, electronic resource management (ERM) or other systems to manage electronic collections.
- Comprehensive knowledge of cataloging, metadata standards; current awareness of new trends and emerging technologies in cataloging, electronic resources management and technical services.
- Excellent analytical, communication, pro-active problem solving and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member or leader of a team.
- Ability to work effectively with culturally diverse campus constituencies
- Ability to adapt to rapid change and to exercise creativity and initiative.
- Commitment to engage in research and scholarship, and ability to meet departmental and campus criteria for promotion and tenure.
- Experience evaluating licenses and working with vendors to acquire and maintain electronic resources.
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in digitization and institutional repositories, including preservation, databases, storage systems and web interfaces.
- Knowledge of network technologies and languages such as XML, Perl, SQL, etc.
- Active involvement in professional development activities with a record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession.
- Grant-writing and resource development experience.
- Reading knowledge of one or more non-English languages.
- Strong service ethic.
- Coordinate management of electronic collections including databases, E-Journals, eBooks and streaming media with an emphasis on best practices in use of various library systems.
- Provide leadership and coordination for implementing the CSU system-wide unified library management system (Ex Libris Alma and Primo) in the Leonard Library.
- Lead planning, evaluation, and implementation of metadata and cataloging policies, standards, procedures, and workflows.
- Supervise library staff and work closely with coordinators for Collection Development, Acquisitions, Cataloging, Interlibrary Services and Information Technology to develop and manage library collections in all formats.
- Collaborate on the development of user-centered web designs related to access and control of electronic collections.
- May participate in the development of Library digitization projects and/or collaborate on the management and preservation of the Library’s digital collections.
- Work actively as a subject liaison to a department or program if assigned.
- Contribute to committees, working groups and task forces for the Library, University, and CSU, and actively participate in Library planning.
Appointment is expected to be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian with salary and academic rank commensurate with qualifications and experience. The CSU provides generous health, retirement and other benefits.
Submit a letter of intent/interest, a current CV, and the names and contact information of three references. Letters of recommendation upon request at a later date.
For full consideration, submit all materials by October 31, 2015 to:
Elizabeth Detrich, Personnel Coordinator
J. Paul Leonard Library
San Francisco State University
1630 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132-4030
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.