Close Date: Not stated
Salary: $25-$30 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications
To apply, send a resume and a brief description of your interest in the project should to: firstname.lastname@example.org
PlaneTree Health Library (PHL), a nonprofit organization in Santa Clara County, CA, has provided free access to relevant, trustworthy health and medical information to the public since 1989.
PROJECT AND POSITION DESCRIPTION:
As part of its strategic planning for program growth, PHL's Board of Directors is assessing the current health information needs of its local community (Santa Clara County, CA) in three topic areas. To identify currently unavailable (or inadequate) services, the Board is seeking a researcher to complete a preliminary, 10- to 12-hour research project.
- Identify and implement appropriate research methods, such as telephone inquiries, Internet and/or database searches, library tools, or other information resources.
- Research and collect data on the availability and utilization of existing Santa Clara County services that provide information and/or education in three topical areas: (1) health insurance (all types and aspects), (2) end-of-life care and advance health care directives, (3) nutrition
- Organize the information and prepare a written report of findings
- Communicate with the Board Chair to obtain direction and report progress
Demonstrated ability to:
- Organize project tasks and complete them in a timely manner
- Select and use appropriate research methods and tools, including online searches, telephone interviews, and software applications
- Select useful, relevant information from a potentially large amount of data and organize it coherently
- Keep a data file of materials, their basic descriptions, and location
- Communicate effectively orally, in writing, and (if helpful) with charts
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others involved and those who are contacted in the course of project investigation
Experience in information gathering processes, nonprofit strategic planning, and/or environmental scanning processes
Knowledge of Santa Clara County, CA community health resources
Ability to complete the project in 10-12 hours of work and within 4 weeks of hire date
Bachelor's degree required; Master's of Library Science, Social Work, Public Health or other relevant master's degree preferred
Resident of the San Francisco South Bay area preferred