Salary: $6,959.64 - $8,450.33 Monthly
To view full posting and apply, visit https://www.calopps.org/ViewAgencyJob.cfm?ID=23487&kw=library
Under general direction from the City Librarian, provides a reliable, accurate, responsive, efficient, safe and secure information systems platform for library service delivery. Manages data and voice network operations including staff and public computing, application software and telecommunications, as well as specific facility, meeting room and materials management systems. Responds to staff calls for technical help, troubleshoots and solves hardware and software problems, monitors overall system performance, implements improvements and works with the management team to develop long-range technology plans.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives supervision from the City Librarian. Provides direct or indirect supervision of all personnel assigned to the program area.
(Include, but are not limited to the following)
- Manage a 100+ device data network plus 45+ voice network. Develop, document and implement network administration policies and processes. Maintain and troubleshoot hardware, software, and network issues. Ensure system integrity, reliability, responsiveness, security and compliance with library policies, e.g., Internet use.
- Ensure that systems serving library customers are first priority for trouble calls. Assists staff with system and application software training and development needs. Develops technology competencies for staff, creates staff training and troubleshooting manuals, and holds staff training sessions as needed.
- Work with Peninsula Library Automated Network (PLAN) for software and server updates. Works with library staff on web development issues.
- Develop and implement technology plans. Deploy sound project management practices including goal/problem identification and decision analyses. Using City of Burlingame purchasing guidelines, prepares RFPs, bids or requests written quotes. Prepare and manage the technology services budget. Work closely with IT representatives from City of Burlingame. Manage other automated systems including AMH, security cameras etc. as needed.
- Work closely with and oversee cataloging/acquisitions staff in ordering, processing, cataloging, and library materials. Monitor the overall workflow of the department, both Cataloging and IT
- Interview, select, train, supervise, and schedule staff in Technical Services department. Conduct staff meetings. Maintain payroll and attendance records for department. Supervise staff training of online catalog, databases, online reference service, and web page. Fill in to assist with maintaining work flow when there are absences or personnel issues in divisions, Cataloging and IT. Provide performance reviews for network and technical services staff as well as participate in reviews for other staff as determined by the Library Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
(The following are a representative sample of the knowledge/abilities and skills necessary to perform essential duties of the position.)
Public library principles, purposes, techniques and terminology; basic principles of supervision; the specialized program area assigned and other library programs and services in general; procedures related to cataloguing, clarification, reference and research; and the organization and functions of municipal library systems.
- Effectively supervise the operation of the assigned program of service.
- Ability to exhibit good judgment and establish effective working relationships with staff, colleagues within the library system, and local government personnel.
- Acquire a thorough knowledge of Department programs, policies and procedures, and working knowledge of City policies.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Ability to work extended or irregular hours as needed.
- Ability to administer additional specific applications including building systems, 3M AMH software and other smart library solutions such as Shopkeep payment solutions, Envisionware print payment, 3M RFID-based self-check.
- Proven project management, troubleshooting and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to simplify complex technological topics for novices.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to evaluate/implement/train with regard to library specific software, programs and/or databases.
(The following are minimal qualifications necessary for entry into the classification)
Education and experience:
Librarian with an MLS from a graduate library school accredited by ALA and 3 years minimum professional library experience required. Supervisory experience in a public library setting is preferred.
Web development certificate/skills desired.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, AND ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Ability to work in a standard library environment; ability to stoop, sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, squat, reach, and twist, climb stairs; ability to use independent judgement and initiative. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and push/pull up to 100 pounds.