Salary: $29.96 - $38.99
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Close Date: 09/28/2015 at 11:59pm
To apply, visit https://cityjobs.sanjoseca.gov/psc/prod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL
- Education: A Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university.
- Experience: Librarian I - None; Librarian II - Minimum one year of full-time professional library experience.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
- Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/ technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Customer Service - approaches problem-solving by focusing on customers first; advocates for customer results point of view; demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner.
- Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Technology Use/Management - uses efficient and cost-effective approaches to integrate technology into the workplace and improve program effectiveness.
- Initiative - exhibits self directed, resourceful and creative behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility or workload and accept challenges; pursue continuing educational opportunities which promote enhanced job performance.
- Project Management - ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
- Communication Skills - communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
- Do you possess a Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university? If so, indicate where you received your degree. If no, are you expecting your degree in Fall 2015 or Spring 2016? Please list planned completion date and the name of the College or University.
- Do you have at least one year of full-time professional library experience? If yes, please describe your experience.
- Do you have knowledge of the "San José Way" model of innovative service delivery used by the San José Public Library System (see http://sjpl.org/innovation)? If so, please describe how your philosophy of public library service aligns with San José Way and how you would incorporate the principles of San José Way into your daily work.
- Do you have knowledge of the current trends in the library science profession, including Internet and Web-based technologies, reference, circulation services, and/or programming? If yes, briefly highlight some current trends that are of interest to you. Also, describe how you keep abreast with current/future technologies and trends.
- Do you have experience in initiating and implementing change? If you answered yes, please describe a recent work-related experience where your initiative led to a change in service or practice. Provide a specific example and include details of the type of change, your role and responsibilities and the outcome.
- Do you have a second language skill? If so, please indicate the language and describe your fluency level (Comprehend only; Comprehend and speak; Comprehend, speak and read; Comprehend, speak, read and write; Not Bilingual)
- This recruitment is for part time benefited (20 hours per week) and part time un-benefited (on-call pool). Please indicate which you are applying for: part time (20 hours per week), on-call pool (no guaranteed hours), both.