Salary: $29.70 - $37.93 Hourly
Employment: 28 hour work week, plus excellent pro-rated benefits
To apply, visit https://www.calopps.org/ViewAgencyJob.cfm?ID=22869&kw
Do you find yourself humming Skinnamarink for no reason you can discern? Do you think there is nothing better than a stack of brand new picture books, graphic novels, middle grade and young adult fiction? Do you aspire to rock star status with the under-five crowd? Are you looking for an opportunity to serve children birth to fourteen years of age in an exciting, diverse community? Are you bursting with innovative ideas for serving families that you can’t wait to try out? Would you like to be a part of a friendly, flexible, and committed team that is dedicated to serving the literacy needs of children?
If this sounds like you, then we invite you to submit an application for the position of Librarian I/II at the San Rafael Public Library. The San Rafael Public Library serves an active and diverse community in the heart of beautiful Marin County. This public service desk position provides reader’s advisory and reference service, including assistance in the use of library materials and technologies. The job includes collection development and programming responsibilities, and requires effective verbal and written communication skills. The position also requires some evening and weekend hours.
Essential Job Duties:
- Experience working in youth services, including collection development, programming, and interacting with library patrons
- Experience and/or interest in developing collections and offering programs for tweens and teens
- Knowledge of children’s and young adult books, movies, magazines, apps, and other materials
- Experience and/or interest in performing outreach and forging community partnerships
- Willingness to participate in conferences and other professional development activities
- Knowledge of current technology
- Interest in working in an active and diverse setting
- Willingness to deliver presentations and programs to groups of children, their caregivers, and community stakeholders.
- Library Services and reference materials; Books and authors; Professional practices and techniques of library science.
- On-line library systems and information resources; and Principles of training and supervision.
- Use on-line resources and personal computers.
- Select books and fill needs of patrons.
- Perform reference and reader's advisory work.
- Use and explain library resources.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Develop and promote special library programs.
- Maintain complex records and prepare reports.
- Make routine arithmetic calculations; and work evenings and weekends.
Education and/or Experience:
Masters in Library Science issued by a college or university accredited by the American Library Association.
Librarian I is the entry-level position. While no experience is required, it is highly desirable.
Librarian II is the journey position requiring three years of professional library experience with two years experience in technical services, adult services or children services.
- Bilingual English and Spanish speaker
- Experience working in a K-12 classroom
- Interest and/or knowledge of graphic design
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Application and Selection Process:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application. The examination process may include the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-employment physical and fingerprinting.