- A Master's degree in Library Science.
- Two (2) years experience in library work, including the provision of reference services utilizing the Internet and electronic databases preferred.
- A State of California driver's license may be required.
- Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with
Disabilities Act, may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills and
other characteristics. The list that
follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform
all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific
- Plans, develops and implements a unit providing
county-wide/system-wide library service to all branches, such as reference,
adult, or youth services. Provides lead direction to staff and volunteers in
branches working in the area of program responsibility; may train staff in work
procedures. Develops and presents programs; such as story hours and class
visits. In the absence of a branch librarian may oversee branch operations.
- Performs professional library services; organizes and
provides confidential reference services and readers advisory and activities in
the reference division.
- Assists patrons with selection and use of library materials.
- Participates in countywide collection development
activities; manages removal outdated material from shelves and electronic
databases, examines resource and collection materials and selects new materials
for circulation; coordinates with vendors; receives and evaluates book
donations and other materials from public.
- Conducts public relations functions; provides tour of library
facilities and briefs on services available; speaks and represents the library
to school and community groups regarding library programs and resources; plans,
organizes and implements programs to reach community; prepares press releases
and book reviews; appears on public radio service broadcasts and speaks before
community; attends community events.
- Identifies grant opportunities and prepares grant
application for submittal; administers grants; plans and develops fund raising
- Participates in developing and implementing of library
goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for assigned area of
responsibility, function or branch; suggests changes and solutions to County
- Participates in professional development activities
including attending workshops, continuing education programs and regional or
state library association activities.
- Provides guidance and instruction on use of Internet;
demonstrates log on procedures; assists with research techniques using available
- Instruct patrons on the use of catalog system and procedures
to identify and locate books and related materials to include videos,
magazines, compact discs and DVDs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Work is performed in an office environment.
- May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- May be exposed to, potential physical harm, and infectious diseases.