SALARY RANGE: $67,704.00 - $82,472.00 annually
POSITION AVAILABLE: April 5, 2016
CLOSING DATE: 5:00 pm, Friday, March 18, 2016
The Sonoma County Library is seeking a customer service driven library professional with excellent communication skills and knowledge of all things “wine” for its Wine Librarian position located in Healdsburg, within the Healdsburg Regional Library. This position is in the heart of Wine Country, with the Redwoods and Pacific Ocean only minutes away. As a special library within a public library setting, the Wine Library serves wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts with aplomb. With collections and services in business and technical resources, rare books portraying the global history of wine, oral histories and archival information detailing the history of wine in the North Coast region, as well as a comprehensive trove of resources spanning every related subject from growing grapes to pairing wine with anything you might think of, the Wine Library is an indispensable resource for drinkers, aspiring home winemakers, viticulturists, picking crews, hospitality professionals, and corporate business partners alike.
Under general supervision, and while providing excellent customer service, the Wine Librarian is responsible for managing the Wine Library, a special collection of resources about the wine industry for both wine enthusiasts and wine industry professionals; also serves as an adult reference librarian. This position reports to the Healdsburg Regional Library Branch Manager and is located at the Healdsburg Regional Library.
TYPICAL TASKS include but are not limited to:
- Manages the Sonoma County Wine Library
- Provides leadership, planning, and organization for the Sonoma County Wine Library.
- Provides input regarding the development and implementation of system-wide goals, objectives, and priorities.
- Makes budget recommendations related to assigned collection or projects to administrative staff; Monitors the Wine Library budget.
- Performs grant-writing activities for the Wine Library, under direction of supervisor and the Library Management Team.
- Supervises Wine Library volunteers.
- Manages the Wine Library collection by reviewing, selecting and recommending the deselection of library materials in a variety of formats, including digital collections and resources; performs original cataloging of special and digital items.
- Makes and maintains positive ongoing relationships with external groups, including wine enthusiasts, wineries and representatives of the wine industry, in order to identify community needs and enhance public service.
- Takes the lead in anticipating changes in community needs and changing technology and information services, and plans how to address needs and implement changes.
- Remains knowledgeable and current on technological advances that impact library services.
- Remains knowledgeable and current in cataloging practices for all media, including digital resources, and in current and emerging metadata standards.
- Acts as the Person-in-Charge in the absence of the branch manager, including making responsible and appropriate decisions based on patron and branch needs.
- Participates in local community activities to generate public support for library and fundraising efforts.
- Serves as a liaison to support groups.
- Nurtures and develops the Friends of the Sonoma County Wine Library as an effective advocacy and fundraising organization.
- Promotes the Library and its resources to appropriate user groups across Sonoma County and beyond.
- Serves as a resource specialist for the public and staff related to the Wine Library collection.
- Provides training for staff related to the Wine Library collection.
- Serves as Adult Reference Librarian for the Wine Library and Healdsburg Regional Library
- Provides Public Service
- Is approachable, courteous, friendly and knowledgeable in assisting and advising patrons regarding the use of library materials and equipment, including automated catalogs and Internet software.
- Conducts reference searches proficiently, using a variety of database, online and other search techniques; keeps up to date on databases and search techniques.
- Provides difficult and extensive reference reader’s advisory services to the general public in a knowledgeable and professional manner.
- Calmly and professionally explains library policies and procedures to patrons and staff providing options when possible, and explaining rationale positively when denials are required.
- Participates in Collection Development
- In a responsible and accountable manner participates in collection development; suggests the addition of books, reference materials, audio and videotapes, electronic media, Internet resources and other library materials, doing so in a timely manner and following assigned schedules.
- Uses professional judgment to recommend materials for de-selection.
- Meets assigned deadlines
- Provides Outreach Services
- Represents the library in meetings with the community or special interest groups in a professional and responsive manner.
- Develops and conducts outreach, making the Sonoma County Wine Library and its resources accessible to all members of the community.
- Organizes and presents welcoming and appropriate programs for various interest groups.
- Prepares enjoyable and appropriate exhibits.
- Performs other professional duties.
- Is professional and accountable in participating in library meetings related to assigned area.
- Takes the initiative to recommend equipment acquisition as well as policy and procedure revisions to improve patron service and efficiency in assigned program areas.
- Maintains accurate records and files in a timely fashion.