Tuesday, March 1, 2016
Commerce – City of Commerce – Librarian
Closing Date: 3/4/2016
Salary: $29.78 - $36.27 Hourly
Under general supervision, performs professional-level Librarian duties utilizing current technology and traditional resources to meet the informational, educational and recreational needs of the community. Desirability to be a team player and good communicator are important along with a passion for technology and an eye out for the next trend in libraries that would be of interest to our library users.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
· Perform reference, patron advisory and information services in a pleasant, constructive and cooperative manner. Assists patrons of all ages with reference questions and selection of books, magazines, and other print and non-print materials.
· Provides information and interpretation concerning library services, policies and procedures.
· Coordinates, promotes, and presents library programs and services to meet the informational, educational, and recreational needs of the community.
· Provides library collections, professional library reference and research services using specialized databases, internet services and Inter-library loan resources; researches multiple databases to determine availability of items and correct source of borrowing; processes book and media requests
· Assists with collection development; reviews and evaluates current collection and recommends the removal of books, media and other resources that are no longer appropriate for the collection; monitors expenditures and budget.
· Assists in determining and developing library programs and services; plans and conducts special library events.
· Speaks to community groups, local businesses and schools, and develops and distributes marketing materials to promote the Library's social media, online databases and programs; promotes reading and literacy programs.
· Oversees library security and assures patrons comply with policies and procedures; conducts special research assignments, program development projects and community events as assigned.
· Maintains the absolute confidentiality of all records and information.
· Operates technologically advanced computer equipment, databases, fax machines, tablets and PCs
· Assist patrons in accessing e-books and other digital materials provide by the library on e-readers, computers, smartphones and other technological devices.
Education and Experience:
A Masters Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution or completion of the degree within six months of the appointment; AND two year's experience with public library preferably in Children Services, Teen Services or Adult Services.
Must possess a valid California Driver's License.