Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Visalia – College of the Sequoias – Information Competency Librarian
Closing Date: 5/9/16
Salary: $54,663 to $72,069.
Description of Position:
College of the Sequoias Community College District is seeking an enthusiastic, creative and service-oriented librarian for a full-time, one-year temporary position as an Information Competency Librarian. The successful applicant will be a flexible, team-oriented person who is able to work both independently and collaboratively.
Primary responsibilities will include formal library/information competency course development and instructions, including distance education formats, helping students and faculty incorporate information resources into their learning and teaching activities; and providing instruction in the use of the Library to students, faculty, staff and the community. This position is also responsible for regularly scheduled hours at the Reference Desk and involvement in print and non-print collection development. Assignments may include evening and Saturday hours. Participation in professional activities and campus governance committees will be expected.
The candidate must meet one of the following criteria. The degree must generally be from an accredited institution such as the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or the equivalent.
Master's in library science or library and information science form an ALA accredited institution
Candidates claiming equivalency must demonstrate a combination of education and other accomplishments that are equivalent to the MQ's. If claiming equivalency, you will need to read the Board Policy 7211 on equivalency and prepare a statement documenting how you feel you meet the equivalent qualifications.
In looking at application materials, the Hiring Committee also seeks evidence of the following:
· Recent experience in the preparation and presentation of general and subject-oriented library instruction in a classroom setting, including the use of on-line catalogs and indexes and Web-based resources.
· Demonstrated ability to teach information competency skills in a classroom setting.
· Demonstrated ability to access information via electronic information retrieval systems, on-line library catalogs, and the Internet.
· Experience as a reference librarian.
· Experience in selecting print and non-print materials for library collections.
· Experience with web page software and demonstrated knowledge of multimedia presentation software.
· Strong commitment to public service.
· Experience in and/or commitment to working with students from diverse cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic, academic and disability backgrounds. (Diversity response will be completed as part of the application.)
· Demonstrated sensitivity to and ability to work with people of diverse racial, ethnic, gender, disabled and cultural backgrounds.
· Ability to work productively, cooperatively, and collegially.
· Awareness of the philosophy and objectives of the community college.