- This position is an hourly, extra-help and does not include
leave or medical benefits, and will not exceed 999 hours in a fiscal year.
- The Professional Assistant will be presenting or helping with programs for children and tweens and other ages as needed, including storytelling, crafts, and book clubs; contributing to development of a library collection; dealing tactfully and effectively with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds; answering questions and solving customer service, technological and operational problems anywhere library services are provided, in person, by phone or other means; advising customers in use of library materials and searches for information, both at advanced levels; enforcing library policies; helping promote and evaluate library services; greeting and guiding customers; issuing library cards; assisting customers with library equipment, self-checkout and self-payment; operating, learning and teaching use of equipment and technologies as needed; sorting and handling books; working with all ages - children, teens, and adults, and performing related duties as required. May be in charge of library site operations for defined periods.
- Training: A Bachelor's degree or higher. Supplementary graduate coursework, such as 9 semester units or 12 quarter units in library science or a related field is highly desirable.
- Copies of Bachelor's degree (and transcripts showing graduate coursework, if applicable) must be submitted. Applications that do not include required copies will not be considered.
- Experience: Some technical or professional level experience in a library is desirable.
- Special Requirements: This position requires variable working hours and the availability to work Saturdays, Sundays and evenings at any location where library services may be provided, including mobile libraries or outdoors.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) ability is highly desirable.
- Working Conditions: Essential functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time; walking, climbing (including stepstools, stairs without handrails, and ladders), bending, twisting; exercising full range of motion of the arms, hands, wrists and fingers; repeated pulling, grasping, carrying and pushing onto shelves of books and other items; pushing/pulling of book cars loaded with materials, lifting (up to 30 lbs.), stooping, crouching, kneeling and stretching; speaking and hearing to exchange information; and visual acuity to read and interpret information. Headset or ear bud use may be required for internal radio communications. Operation of city vehicles may be required in performance of duties.
- Selection Process: All properly completed applications (which include the supplemental questionnaire and required supporting documents) will be reviewed and references checked. The most appropriately qualified individuals may be invited to an oral interview to assess job-related qualifications. Applications will be kept on file for three months.