Saturday, November 22, 2014
Atherton - Sacred Heart Schools - Prep Library Assistant
Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton
Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton (SHS) is seeking excellent candidates for the position of the Prep Library Assistant. This is a non-exempt position with a duties scheduled over 10 months beginning immediately. The position is part-time, 20 hours a week, 10:00AM to 2:00PM Monday-Friday when school is in session. The purpose of this position is supporting the Prep Librarian, providing support to high school students and participating in the Sacred Heart community. Requirements include two years of recent experience in a similar position and a high school diploma. The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to “go the extra mile” to reach goals and a proven ability at managing multiple projects and meeting deadlines. The ideal candidate will perform a vital role in supporting the use of library services for high school students and demonstrate a commitment to equality and inclusion.
• Assists students and teachers with research needs and with the use of library equipment.
• Manages circulation, periodical subscriptions, and parent volunteers.
• Provides minor tech support for library hardware and for the projection system.
• Shares responsibility for receiving and processing new materials.
• Promotes library materials by creating book displays.
• Oversee the library circulation desk, library computers and seating areas.
•Provide library services from 10AM to 2PM Monday through Friday during the academic year.
• After school hours, supervise students in the library to ensure an environment conducive to study, enforce library and school policies, help students and teachers locate resources as needed, and perform closing tasks at end of day.
• Check library materials in and out, generate overdue notices weekly.
• Assist patrons with use of online catalog, library databases and the Internet.
• Help library users find needed library materials.
• Schedule and train parent volunteers.
• Promote love of reading by reading and recommending fiction and non-fiction books.
• Manage periodical subscriptions.
• Maintain the neat and orderly appearance of the nonfiction, fiction and professional library collections.
• Provide basic tech support for visiting lecturers in Stevens Library.
• Assist librarian with special projects, including processing new books, weeding, and cataloging.
• Occasional subbing for library classes.
Skills and Abilities:
• Affinity for working with high school students.
• Demonstrate competency with the online library catalogs (OPACs), databases, and internet searches.
• Experience with Windows, Microsoft Office applications, and Google Docs.
• Comfortable using the Dewey Decimal System and leveled reading systems.
• Ability to produce professional and grammatically correct correspondence.
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to multitask.
• Willingness to accept new tasks and projects with a positive attitude.
• Interest in reading and discussing fiction and nonfiction books that are of interest to teens.
• Demonstrated excellent attendance and punctuality.
• Ability to multi-task, demonstrate a calm and friendly disposition and independent initiative.
• A clear commitment to the mission of the school as articulated in the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools.
• Requires the ability to actively circulate about the library, reach under tables, and sit for extended periods at a computer.
• On a daily basis, spends extended time shelving books on very low shelves in a bent over position. Requires bending, sitting on floor, and extended reaching in order to shelve books.
• Requires the ability to regularly lift more than 20 pounds.
• Requires manual dexterity to sort books, use the phone, the computer and other library equipment.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree is required.
• Prior experience working in a library setting required, experience in an independent school is strongly preferred.
The advertised position offers competitive compensation. SHS has a policy of making health and welfare
Benefits available to employees based on the length of assignment and subject to the plan parameters, including medical, dental, Life & LTD, vision, 403(b) retirement plan and more.
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply by doing the following: Please apply online by sending a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
We respectfully ask that you DO NOT contact any administrator directly or phone the school for additional information.
You MUST indicate Lucas Family Library Assistant 2014 in the subject line of the email. Or, you may mail your resume to:
Sacred Heart Schools
150 Valparaiso Avenue
Atherton, CA 94027
Attention Human Resources: Lucas Family Library Assistant 2014
Posted by Stephen Passey at 1:34 PM