Monday, November 24, 2014
City of Huntington Beach - Senior Librarian
SALARY: $5,824.00 - $7,214.13 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 11/24/14
CLOSING DATE: 12/15/14 11:59 PM
The current vacancy is in Technology and Support Services. The Ideal Candidate will have experience supporting library computer systems and networks, coordinating online services and resources, working closely with Information Systems staff to resolve technology challenges and effectively integrate library materials and resources into the Library's program of service. The Library is looking for someone who is innovative, flexible and dedicated to providing the highest levels of library service. Under general supervision, the Senior Librarian performs specialized professional library work pertaining to a specific division of the library.
Senior Librarian is an advanced journey-level position. The position is distinguished from the Librarian classification by the level of responsibility assumed, the supervisory responsibilities, and the complexity of the duties assigned. The position is distinguished from the Principal Librarian classification in that the Principal Librarian exercises managerial authority over all library personnel and functions while the Senior Librarian is responsible for the work activities of a specific division/area.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Plans, organizes and supervises a division/area of the library; prepares work schedules of personnel and volunteers; supervises staff, evaluates performance, and recommends personnel actions
Acquires and makes available for public use informational materials in all formats (e.g. print, electronics, etc.)
Coordinates and oversees the classification and cataloging of library materials, working with vendors and staff to utilize computerized systems and technology tools
Implements and maintains automated information systems, such as the Library’s integrated system and patron database, as well as other electronic resources and databases, both on site and remotely available
Interacts with the vendors and suppliers to assess and analyze workflow in support of direct customer service
Serves as liaison to other service areas and departments on issues involving shared services, technology and web-based services
Coordinates the library’s web and social media presence; works with other library entities to maintain a positive and effective presence in the virtual community
Orders books, e resources and other materials in accordance with informational needs of the community and requests of readers; maintains library collections
Maintains statistical data and other records; prepares statistical and written reports including budget information
Monitors and controls budget expenditures for assigned division; selects and recommends purchase of equipment, services, materials, and supplies
Develops and prepares grant applications for library programs, services, and materials
Assists in departmental public relations activities; coordinates with library support groups and volunteers in fundraising activities; coordinates tours, video programming on projects and other activities with schools and community groups
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. The City, at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Any combination of education, training, and experience that would likely provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform in the position is qualifying. A typical combination includes:
- Theories, principles and practices of library and information science
- Automated library information systems, software and equipment usage
- Library materials and resources in a broad spectrum of subjects and formats.
- Collection development and cataloging and classification procedures for a variety of materials and formats.
- Research techniques using print, media, electronic databases and the Internet.
- Principles and practices of supervision
- Basic statistics and business math
- Budgetary planning and preparation
- Customer service and public relations
- Develop, coordinate and implement library service programs and activities within a specialized library function, included but not limited to children’s services, research, technology, circulation, cataloging and patron support services
- Plan, organize and direct the work of professional and paraprofessional staff and volunteers
- Prepare clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials
- Mitigate customer service issues
- Develop appropriate and effective collections/resources within an assigned area
- Operate library automation system and other computer equipment.
- Classify and catalog materials and implement cataloging systems
- Prepare statistical reports using spreadsheet programs
- Prepare budget information.
- Maintain accurate records; operate personal computer and standard software applications
- Establish and maintain effective interpersonal relations with those contacted in the course of work
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Analyze data, recognize problems, arrive at sound conclusions, and make logical recommendations and/or decisions
Education: ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science.
Experience: Two (2) years full-time professional library experience.
Certificate/License: A valid California Class C driver’s license and an acceptable driving record are required by time of appointment.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
An official City of Huntington Beach online job application must be filled out in its entirety.
Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
Depending upon the applicant pool, all applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will NOT necessarily be selected to participate in the hiring process.
Applicants whose qualifications BEST meet the City’s needs will be invited to a an oral board examination (weighted 100%).
Successful candidates will be placed on an employment eligible list from which hires may be made. The employment eligible list is valid for up to one year, unless exhausted sooner.
Upon a conditional offer of employment a pre-placement medical evaluation, drug screen (select positions), TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results. Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
PLEASE NOTE: Our primary means of communication with applicants/candidates is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
PHYSICAL TASKS & ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The incumbent must meet the physical requirements of the class and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the duties performed.
Tasks involve the ability to exert physical effort in sedentary to light work including moving from one area of the office to another; lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling objects and materials of light weight (5 - 10 pounds), and sitting, reaching, twisting, and leaning. Requires the ability to operate, maneuver, and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/materials used in performing essential functions such as computer keyboards, calculators, copiers, and other office equipment. Requires hearing and speaking to answer the telephone or answer questions of co-workers, subordinates, or the general public. Reasonable accommodation(s) for an individual with a qualified disability will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Employees regularly assigned/required to drive a city or personal vehicle in the course and scope of work shall be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull Notice program.
Public Employee Disaster Service Worker: In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.
* 1.Do you possess an ALA accredited Master's Degree in Library and Information Science?
2.If you answered "No" to the previous question, in the space below describe any degrees you DO possess.
* 3.Indicate your level of full time professional library experience.
* 4.Describe your experience supporting library computer systems and networks and working closely with information systems staff to resolve technology challenges. In your answer, include date and place of employment where you gained this experience. If you do not possess this type of experience, enter "N/A".
* 5.Describe your experience purchasing library materials and resources. In your answer, include date and place of employment where you gained this experience. If you do not possess this type of experience, enter "N/A".
* 6. Describe your experience with project management and service development. In your answer, include date and place of employment where you gained this experience. If you do not possess this type of experience, enter "N/A".
* 7. Describe your experience with Web-based library services. In your answer, include date and place of employment where you gained this experience. If you do not possess this type of experience, enter "N/A".
* 8. Describe your experience with technology planning. In your answer, include date and place of employment where you gained this experience. If you do not possess this type of experience, enter "N/A".
* 9. Describe your experience working with social media in a library setting. In your answer, include date and place of employment where you gained this experience. If you do not possess this type of experience, enter "N/A".
* 10. Are you a CalPERS Retired Annuitant?* Required Question