- Assumes full management responsibilities for the services and activities of the Collection and Technical Services Division
- Supervises the library's collection development program
- Participates in defining the goals and policies for the collection of the library system
- Supervises the preservation of library materials
- Supervises and coordinates the ordering, cataloging, processing and collection management activities for the library materials including books, serials, documents, video cassettes, compact discs, CD Roms and other electronic formats
- Provides support services to branch librarians and other staff relating to collection development, acquisitions, cataloging and processing services
- Sets, monitors and maintains performance studies for all collection and technical service activities
- Manages vendor contracts and operations for the purchase of cataloging and processing services
- Prepares the annual budget for the division
- Manages the internal library databases for accuracy and efficiency
- Prepares statistical and narrative reports, makes public presentations as required relative to the Division's services
Monday, March 9, 2015
Contra Costa County Library - Library Collection and Technical Services Manager
$35.72 - $43.42 Hourly
$74,297.88 - $90,309.48 Annually
ISSUE DATE: 03/09/15
FINAL FILING DATE: 03/20/15
Contra Costa County Library is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Library Collection and Technical Services Manager. The successful candidate in this position oversees all Library collections and leads a dynamic, forward-looking staff committee that participates in decision-making. This person will also manage and coordinate the acquisitions, cataloging, and processing of library materials; maintain and develop library vendor relationships; and supervise a diverse staff comprised of librarians, paraprofessionals, and clerks.
Under the direction of a Deputy County Librarian, the Library Collection/Technical Services Manager participates in strategic planning, goal setting, and decision-making for the Support Services Division of the Library. As part of the responsibilities of the Support Services Division, the successful applicant will also gain experience and training in areas of information technology, circulation and resource sharing, virtual library development and digital content management.
The names of successful candidates will be placed on an employment list in rank order for a period of twelve (12) months.
License Required: Possession of a valid California motor vehicle operator's license. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator's license will be accepted during the application process.
Education: Possession of a Master's of Library Sciences degree from an American Library Association accredited school.
Experience: Three (3) years of full-time equivalent professional public library experience, which must have included one (1) year of supervisory experience.
1. Application Filing: All applicants, including County employees must apply on-line at Contra Costa County Department of Human Resources, and submit the required information as indicated on the job announcement by the closing date/time listed above. All applicants must clearly demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications provided on the job announcement. Paper, faxed, or late applications WILL NOT be accepted. Resumes may not be substituted for the official County application. To view the typical tasks, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position, please visit our website to see the detailed job description.
2. Application Evaluation: Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.
3. Oral Interview: An oral interview will be conducted by a Qualifications Appraisal Board in Martinez, Ca. The Board will evaluate candidates in job-related areas. Candidates must receive a rating of at least 70 from a majority of the Board members to be ranked on the employment list. (Weighted 100%)
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.