Position Title: Librarian-Systems and Technologies
Posting Date: 02/10/2015
Application Deadline: 04/01/2015
Essential Functions of Position:
Commencing Fall 2015, a full-time, tenure-track Librarian position will be available in the Santa Barbara City College Luria Library. We are seeking applicants who can participate in a team environment dedicated to excellent customer service and student success. Our emphasis on creativity, collaboration, and technology innovation makes this a dynamic workplace.
As the technology lead, this position will provide vision, leadership, and support to current and emerging technologies for the library. Primary responsibility is the development and maintenance of library technology infrastructure, including managing and coordinating the library’s online presence, library website and web services, and online resources; daily maintenance and administration of the integrated library system; collaborating with campus technology to maintain technology infrastructure; lead in the development and maintenance of online assessment tools and instructional technology.
Responsibilities also include providing reference services, both face-to-face and virtual, instructing students and faculty in the use of library resources and teaching classes in information competency and collection development. Other responsibilities include full participation in departmental responsibilities and college service (such as committee assignments, co-curricular activities).
Additional responsibilities for this position available at: http://www.sbcc.edu/boardoftrustees/files/policies/AP%204501%20EducationalSupportFacultyJobDescriptionandResponsibilities.pdf
1. Master’s degree in library science, or library and information science, OR
2. Combination of education and other accomplishments that is equivalent to the above. (If claiming equivalency, attach a separate statement that presents the basis for this claim and submit supporting evidence, e.g., transcripts, publications, and other work products.); OR
3. Possession of a lifetime California Community College Librarian Credential.
● Professional experience in an academic library.
● Significant experience in administration, support and enhancement of a variety of library technology infrastructure tools and techniques, including an integrated library system, link resolvers, proxy server, and service configurations.
● Significant experience using web development tools (for instance, Linux / Apache / MySQL / PHP / CSS); ability to design and manage websites, conduct usability studies, adhere to web accessibility standards, and create web pages which use responsive design principles.
● Significant experience creating and maintaining blogs, videos, screencasts, and audio podcasts, and other web technologies.
● Experience in adopting, implementing, integrating, and evaluating emerging technologies and services.
● Experience in selecting and integrating electronic resources for peer review, product trials and selection, and producing reports to monitor usage of digital resources.
● Experience teaching library research skills and information competency, including using instructional technology and online learning objects for delivery of instruction and interaction with students.
● Knowledge of digital repository projects and metadata development and maintenance for local digital collections.
● Demonstrated skill in using a variety of devices, including mobile platforms, and Window and Mac platforms for multiple applications.
● Experience in working with students from diverse cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic, academic, and disability backgrounds, with a wide variance of information-seeking skills and technological competence.
● Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
● Ability to adapt to rapidly changing environment and collaborate with various departmental service units.
Salary and Benefits:
The current salary schedule range for a entering tenure-track faculty member is $55,435-$86,908, plus an earned doctoral bonus of $2,772. Depending on the entry step, the faculty member increase one step each year and has the potential to reach the current maximum step of $96,205, depending on the educational level attained. Starting salary is commensurate with academic preparation and full-time related, paid experience. In addition to salary each full-time employee participates in a “cafeteria style” Health & Welfare Benefits Program.
Application Deadline/Screening: Completed online applications must be submitted by Wednesday, April 1, 2015 @ 11:59 PM PST.
Required Application Documents: (The following required documents must be submitted electronically via the online application system.)
1. Online District Application form @ https://jobs.sbcc.edu
2. Cover letter addressing the applicant’s experience and the desirable qualifications listed in this announcement.
3. CV or Resume.
4. If claiming equivalency, attach a separate statement in the “Applicant Documents” section entitled, “Other”. The statement presents the basis for this claim and submits supporting evidence, e.g. transcripts, publications, other products.
5. Copy of college transcripts.**
6. A minimum list of three professional references, with contact information, is required on the online application under “Professional References”. A maximum of six professional references may be submitted if desired. These references will be contacted if you are selected as a finalist for the position. These references should be able to critically assess your work qualifications and job performance. Preferred references include: current department chair, immediate past department chair, current Dean, immediate past Dean, one current faculty colleague and one current student, or appropriate equivalent references.
7. Letters of recommendation are not required but are strongly preferred by the committee. You may attach up to three letters of recommendation found under “Applicant Documents” in the field entitled, “Letters of Reference or Confidential Placement File”.
**Please scan transcripts & certificates/licenses, if applicable, and submit electronically as attachments to your online application. If you experience technical difficulties attaching your transcripts electronically, please contact Human Resources for instructions. If you do not have a scanner, there are commercial facilities available to assist you with this process. All required documents must be submitted with your electronic application by the application deadline or your application will be considered incomplete and will not be considered.
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from an official USA certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached to the online application. For a list of recognized organizations providing transcript evaluation services, visit http://www.naces.org/members.htm.