Monday, March 2, 2015
Contra Costa County - The Office of the Sheriff and County Library Department - Library Assistant
$17.24 - $22.02 Hourly / $35,863.56 - $45,799.20 Annually
ISSUE DATE: 03/02/15
FINAL FILING DATE: 03/06/15
The Office of the Sheriff and County Library Department is seeking qualified individuals to fill permanent full-time, permanent part-time, permanent intermittent (on-call substitute), and temporary Library Assistant-Journey Level vacancies.
Positions assigned to the Detention Library System may be assigned to any one of three facilities: West County Detention Facility in Richmond, Martinez Detention Facility in Martinez, and the Marsh Creek Detention Facility in Clayton. These positions also maintain browsing Libraries which allow inmates to obtain direct services from assigned Library staff, i.e. locating specific titles, authors, or subject areas. Incumbents assigned at this level will establish and maintain effective working relationships when dealing and working closely with custody staff, inmates, and handling security issues.
The County Library operates 26 community Libraries within a 750 square mile area and serves close to 1 million urban, suburban and rural patrons with an annual circulation reaching 7.4 million. Library Assistant-Journey Level responsibilities include, but are not limited to, helping library patrons locate information and use various reference sources; instructing patrons on the use of library resources; assisting at the circulation desk and processing library materials. Other duties include training new employees and student assistants and providing support in other areas of the library. Excellent interpersonal skills are required for these positions in order to effectively and tactfully deal with fellow workers and the public.
The employment list established by this examination may remain in effect for twelve (12) months.
Answers general reference and information questions
Assists patrons in selecting and locating specific titles
Instructs patrons in the use of the catalogue
Processes new library materials
Processes interbranch loans
Assists at the circulation desk, including checking books in and out, issuing library cards, and calculating and collecting fines
Assists in planning and presenting library programs
May be responsible for opening and/or closing a branch library according to established schedules
In the Detention Library System, trains and supervises inmate workers; sorts, packs and unpacks shipments between library branches; coordinates periodic contests; records and submits statistics; prepares book selections, loads into book carts and delivers to inmate housing units.
Education AND Experience Options: Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
One (1) year full-time or its equivalent of varied technical work experience in a public library AND possession of either 1) 60 semester or 90 quarter units from an accredited college or university which included 15 semester or 18 quarter units in humanities, social science or natural science; OR, 2) a Certificate of Library Technology from an accredited college or university.
Two (2) years of full-time or its equivalent paraprofessional experience in a public library which must have included readers advisory and information services and bibliographic searching.
PLEASE NOTE: All candidates should carefully review the detailed job description for this position and apply only if they clearly meet the minimum qualifications stated above. All applicants are required to submit a completed supplemental questionnaire, a copy of an official or unofficial college or university transcript, or a copy of the education equivalency evaluation report, at the time of application.
A completed Supplemental Questionnaire is required.
1. Application Filing: Applicants, including County Employees, are to apply on-line at Contra Costa County Department of Human Resources and submit the required information by the final filing date. All applicants must clearly demonstrate that they meet the minimum requirements provided on the job announcement. Resumes may not be substituted for the official County application. Paper, faxed or late applications WILL NOT be accepted. To view the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position, please visit www.cccounty.us/hr to see the detailed job description.
2. Application Evaluation: Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.
3. Written Exam: A multiple-choice written test will be administered to all accepted candidates. Candidates will be tested in job-related dimensions such as: Common Library practices, procedures, and terminology, reading and understanding written material, clerical skills/abilities, interpersonal relations and written communication. Candidates must receive a score of at least 70, which may be an adjusted score, in order to participate in the oral interviews. (Weighted 100%)
Conviction History Form: As part of the application and selection process, an applicant may be required to complete a Conviction History Form. Please note that the Conviction History Form should only be submitted when requested.
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
IT IS THE POLICY OF CONTRA COSTA COUNTY TO CONSIDER ALL APPLICANTS FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION (INCLUDING RELIGIOUS DRESS AND GROOMING PRACTICES), SEX (INCLUDING PREGNANCY, CHILDBIRTH, BREASTFEEDING, AND RELATED MEDICAL CONDITIONS), NATIONAL ORIGIN (INCLUDING LANGUAGE RESTRICTIONS), ETHNICITY, AGE (OVER 40), DISABILITY (INCLUDING PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITIES, HIV, AND AIDS), SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER, GENDER IDENTITY, GENDER EXPRESSION, MARITAL STATUS, ANCESTRY, MEDICAL CONDITION (INCLUDING GENETIC CHARACTERISTICS, CANCER, AND A RECORD OR HISTORY OF CANCER), GENETIC INFORMATION, MILITARY OR VETERAN STATUS.
Library Assistant - Journey Level Supplemental Questionnaire
1. The supplemental questionnaire is part of the application process for the LIBRARY ASSISTANT JOURNEY LEVEL. The purpose of the questionnaire is to provide applicants the opportunity to elaborate on their qualifications. Your responses to the questionnaire will be used to evaluate your relevant experience to determine which applicant's will be invited to participate in a competitive oral examination. Please answer the questions below and submit your responses with your on-line application. Do not leave any answer space blank; if a question does not apply, write "N/A". Although you may submit a resume to further describe your qualifications or additional information, such items may not be substituted in lieu of the supplemental questionnaire. An incomplete supplemental questionnaire may result in disqualification. Do not answer any question by indicating "see attached resume" in your work history or responses to the supplemental questions. Applicants who completed their education outside of the United States must submit verification of degree/equivalency with their application. An application submitted without the supplemental questionnaire is considered incomplete and will therefore be disqualified. Please read the Job Announcement carefully for specific filing instructions, supplemental questions, and final filing dates.
*2. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Please indicate which applies and explain as indicated. Education: I meet the minimum qualifications as I possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university:
Checkbox Yes (skip to question #4) and attach official or unofficial transcripts or copy of degree.
2. Education continued: I meet the minimum qualifications with the following Experience AND Education: I have one (1) year of full-time or its equivalent of varied technical work experience in a public library AND, I have possession of either:
Checkbox 60 semester or 90 quarter units from an accredited college or university which included 15 semester or 18 quarter units in humanities, social science or natural science. Transcripts attached.
Checkbox A Certificate of Library Technology from an accredited college or university. Copy attached.
Checkbox I meet the minimum qualifications with the following EXPERIENCE ONLY: Two (2) years full-time or its equivalent of paraprofessional experience in a public library which must have included readers advisory and information services and bibliographic searching. Applicants must provide a detailed explanation of public library paraprofessional work experience.
*4. Describe your experience on the below topic and include the position title and length of time held, name of the agency, and primary responsibilities of the position(s).
Working with reference materials and literature
*5. Describe your experience on the below topic and include the position title and length of time held, name of the agency, and primary responsibilities of the position(s).
Working with children and adolescents
*6. Describe your experience on the below topic and include the position title and length of time held, name of the agency, and primary responsibilities of the position(s).
Working with the public (adults)
*7. Describe your experience on the below topic and include the position title and length of time held, name of the agency, and primary responsibilities of the position(s).
Directing the work of others
*8. Describe your experience on the below topic and include the position title and length of time held, name of the agency, and primary responsibilities of the position(s).
Working with computers and the Internet (software, applications, etc...)
*9. Describe a specific experience where you personally provided excellent customer service.
*10. SPANISH LANGUAGE FLUENCY (Only candidates that mark the READ, WRITE and SPEAK check boxes will be referred to bilingual positions.)
Checkbox NOT APPLICABLE
*11. INTEREST OF EMPLOYMENT – Please check/indicate all that apply:
*12. INTEREST OF ASSIGNMENTS AT COUNTY DETENTION FACILITIES - Check all that apply:
Checkbox MARTINEZ DETENTION FACILITY - Martinez
Checkbox MARSH CREEK DETENTION FACILITY - Clayton
Checkbox WEST COUNTY DETENTION FACILITY - Richmond
Checkbox NO INTEREST
*13. REGIONAL WORK LOCATION INTEREST - Check all that apply:
Checkbox CENTRAL (Concord, Clayton, Lafayette, Martinez, Moraga, Orinda, and Pleasant Hill)
Checkbox WEST (Crockett, El Cerrito, El Sobrante, Hercules, Kensington, Pinole, Rodeo and San Pablo)
Checkbox EAST (Antioch, Bay Point, Brentwood, Oakley, Prewett and Pittsburg)
Checkbox SOUTH (Danville, San Ramon, Walnut Creek, Daugherty Station and Ygnacio Valley)
*14. I understand that positions assigned to the Sheriff's Department will require working with law enforcement personnel in (3) Detention facilities. As a condition of employment, applicants must pass a thorough Sheriff's Department background investigation. I am interested in working in the environment described above.
* Required Question